Improvements to the site?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by brian9271, Feb 1, 2008.

1. brian9271 macrumors 6502

brian9271

Music on the site? A new background? New competition on softwares and graphics? MSN added to the site? Any suggestions?

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Are you talking about MR, or the forums?

Keep in mind that the forum is powered by vBulletin, so any alterations are restricted to the framework provided there. It's not a custom-built website on its own.

As for your specific ideas, try to be a little more descriptive, as well as considering what those features would actually add (if even possible) that aren't already available on your Mac (iTunes, iChat, whatever).

The beauty of the site in general is its simplicity & general cleanliness. Not a lot of effort to find thing or navigate, and a paucity of clutter. Most of us are fairly happy with it in that respect.

If you want something "busier", try this on for size...

3. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

I have to say that I like MacRumors as it is. It's not flashy, but it does the job well.

4. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

True, but there should be some kind of chat box at the bottom of the page, except in the rules, it says this forum is not a chatting forum, but yeah, I guess, we should have a vote on some changes and have competitions for new backgrounds, it'll be fun

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

No offense, but why not settle in first? Let the site grow on you and then come back to this thread. If in 6 months you still feel this way, we can start again from where you leave off.

I personally like MR the way it is and don't care to see:

1) a chat box (go on iChat or AIM or whatever for that)
    2) music; I can open up iTunes for that (and I do!)
    3) background; I like it the way it is. It's simple, easy to see, and doesn't bother the eyes.
    Also, I don't know what you mean by "vote."

6. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

Okay, cool, and what I mean for vote, is to see whether other members want any changes or not for the website, just an idea by the way, I'm not an admin, so I can't choose, you know, everyone has some ideas right

That site is pretty good too, but as everyone has said so far, they like it as it is, so I'm going to leave it there before things get worse, is it okay if we close this topic?

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

We all love to throw around ideas (this forum is full of them!) but you need to have a better sales pitch. Give a clear picture of what you'd like to change, why, and what purpose you think it will serve for the longer term. Arn seems very good about accepting new ideas, but there should be a reason behind them.
    With what I wrote above, try thinking out a better plan and come back. We need something more solid before we can decide whether or not we like it.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Oooh, yeah. Let's make it like My Space. :rolleyes:

9. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

We could, but as I said, we should have a vote, a poll or something before we can make some changes, I'll be looking into other sites and see what's new!

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

How about no? :p

Seriously, MR is not a networking site, it's a source of news and help and general discussion. Myspace is designed to be a social networking sites. They are different because they serve different purposes.

11. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I like the site as is. It's simple, easy to use, and isn't bloated. You have good ideas, but in reality I don't think people want change. I think the owners of the site are doing a fine job :)

EDIT: Also agree with the above, this isn't a networking/chat/make friends site. This is an information site. :)

12. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

Okay cool, I also like the site as it is, but you know, at the very bottom of the page, you can select different styles, so it would be nice to have a selection for the background, BUT, you don't have to go with that idea, it's not my site :cool:

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Music NO, second I don't think we will have to worry about MSN much longer as it will soon be known as Yahoo Messenger.

There are some default skins that you can choose from in the options menu.

Attached Files:

14. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

Okay, but what about Yahoo Messenger? What do you mean that we won't need to worry about MSN much longer as it will be known as Yahoo Messenger?

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Go buy a newspaper.

Or, check out the front page of Mac Rumors (the story section). ;)

16. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

NO MUSIC. Why are the rest of you being so polite. BYOM. We do.

NO MSN. I am speechless that you even suggest this. Anyway it's over.

I don't care about the rest but it ain't broke so why not let it grow on you.

Thank you and drive safely on Superbowl Sunday.

17. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

Drive safely on Superbowl Sunday? Lol... Random, and what do you mean by BYOM?

18. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

BYOM would equate to Bring Your Own Music, I'd have thought...

And I believe it's a little early in your membership to be discussing how 'we' could go about modifying the design. I'd say most of the active members are happy with the way it is - so why should member 157,353 suddenly jump in and make all the noise about changes?

MacRumors are in the process of investigating updating the design of the site. [linky]... But it's arn's site, and he can do with it exactly what he wants.

In my opinion, yeah - the place could do with a lick of paint. We're used to seeing other sites undergo updates every couple of years, so why not MacRumors?

My answer to my own opinion would be: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.. ;)

And I must say, I love how everyone that wants to change something around here is a newbie. Every time. :rolleyes:

If you want instant forum improvement, have a look at this thread, and specifically this post (for Firefox) or this post (for Safari).

19. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

Okay, but I haven't seen the dude around for a while, is he still posting or just looking over his site?

20. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

When you say 'the dude', I take it you mean arn?

Probably a little busy to just sit around posting. If you hadn't noticed, this is a rather popular forum, so there'll be quite a lot to do to even just keep it running as smoothly as it does.

21. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

Okay, so did the dude Arn make this forum all by himself, like to start off with, then it started spreading over the years, so he basically wrote all the html codes right?

22. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

TBH i wouldnt mind some kind of user-choice option where you could have your own background (very faint so text is still visable) and with small things, sayyy like choosing fonts or text sizes and where threads appear on the main thread page. kinda like customizing the forum to suit what the member wants to have access to (some might want to look at specifics).

eh just an idea...

23. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

Alright, I got someone out there at least :), nice idea mate, something more like a simple background with more selections huh...

24. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yup yup just something nice and simple to customize the experience :)

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

OK, you got me too. I think something like this would make MR explode.

Or maybe this one.