Improving Adium File transfers?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wayland1985, Oct 2, 2008.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

I love adium. I don't use video chat enough to make iChat go away.

The logging of chats in Adium is WAY better than iChat (I don't have to go searching through all kinds of files to find what I wanted...).

But, what ruins my adium experience is file transfers. This is something I do often. It wont transfer any file for me successfully. How can I improve this?

2. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Given that you're switching from iChat, I'm assuming this is an AIM account? The main culprit in file transfer failures is the network setup. What kind of router do you have?

3. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a Verizon Fios Actiontek, and an Airport Extreme (802.11n) as a bridge...

4. MacRumors Guy macrumors member

Currently Adium does not support p2p connections using MSN. That might also be the case with AIM.

5. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Direct file transfer over AIM is definitely supported, so my guess is that it's the double layer of NAT you're behind. I suspect if you could go through only one of the routers (the AirPort Extreme in particular, since it supports NAT-PMP) you'd be ok.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's probably the case. I can tell you from experience that AIM file transferring works perfectly for me.

8. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

I did DMZ my computer at one point, and disabled my firewall.

It was the first time a small file transfer worked. However, a second, third, and fourth attempt ended up with the same result: The file remained in Limbo, being accepted but never downloading...