Improving Aperture 3 performance on 'Early 2008' MBP

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steven1621, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

I'm still about ten months away from upgrading my 'Early 2008' MBP, but am noticing that Aperture 3 is really starting to lag on me. I'm wondering if adding an extra 2GB or RAM (OWC offers a special after-market kit for MBPs of this version) will make a difference, or if CPU/GPU/hard drive limitations are the big issue I'm facing. Any general tips for improving Aperture 2 performance would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance!

2. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

Upgrading your RAM will always help. Swapping for a faster larger hard drive would also make a difference. Otherwise, make sure that there is about 15% of your hard drive space free for scratching.

3. Steven1621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

I already upgraded to a 500GB 7200RPM drive over the summer. It helped a bit. The question becomes is it worth the extra $100 or so to upgrade the RAM in a computer I'm probably going to replace in a year, and will that upgrade make a noticeable difference?

4. dazey macrumors 6502

If you don't use your optical drive much you could consider putting a SSD in the optical bay and using it as a boot drive. Has the advantage that you can reuse it when you move. I moved to a Mac Pro myself.

5. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Just save your money and upgrade to a i7 MBP is what I would say.

I currently use a Penryn 2.4ghz MBP with Aperture 3 whenever I am not around the Mac Pro. I have two drives in the MBP, one is in the DVD bay, 500gb 7,200rpm scratch disk dedicated to my Aperture library, along with 6gb of ram (I upgraded from 4gb to 6gb this summer with no noticeable difference). Using Aperture 3 with that set up is still slow, each picture takes 3-4 seconds to load, it is workable, but nothing compares to my Mac Pro. :) Aperture 3 primarily uses processor and video graphic power to drive its processes, so not too much we can do.

How big is your Aperture library? Mine is 300gb, and I have no plans on splitting it up. If you have a big library as well, I would try to split up the libraries.

I tried a number of other things (pretty much everything everyone suggested), such as referenced photos and such, nothing really worked to get A3 any faster. The 2008 Core Duo is just limited by its processor and graphics card.

I'd just save the money and wait until you get your next i7 MBP. In the mean time, try splitting up your libraries to see if it runs faster.

SSD won't do anything to make A3 run faster, besides making it start up faster on launch. Or you can use the SSD as your Aperture scratchdisk, but that is pretty expensive consider the dropping prices of SSD.