Improving audio on point-n-shoot video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mysterytramp, Jun 27, 2010.

1. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Is there a way to improve the audio quality on videos shot with a Nikon Coolpix S8000? Possibly hooking up a microphone to the USB port?

If that's a no-go, how much work would it be to record the audio with, say, an Olympus voice recorder, then sync images and sound with iMovie?

I realize I'm pounding a square peg into a round hole. I'm trying to complete a project with available resources and $0 budget.

mt

2. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

You can use sound processing software to get the foley effects you want. Of course it helps to have good source material to start with. In the future use a digital recorder such as a Tascam then run it thru foley software.

Avid makes good foley software. It's not inexpensive so save your pennies. In the end, you'll be happy you did.

For really barebones low budget software try Sound Forge Audio Studio 9.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your project!

3. kohlson macrumors 6502a

Shouldn't be a problem. Done this several times, though not with this exact set up. Used a camera at the back of a room, and audio recorder at the front to capture a speaker. Putting the two together is easy in iMovie, just be sure that you have something to sync against. What I've done in these situations is turn on camera, walk to front of room and turn on audio recorder, clap loudly, and return to back of the room.

4. jampat macrumors 6502a

I can't imagine getting option a to work.

B can work, as someone has said, just clap your hands in front of the camera each time you start recording. You can sync the sound on the audio recorder to the movement on the camera. I have never used iMovie, so I don't know if it can do what you require.