Improving Macbook Sound

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mackandproud, Aug 16, 2008.

1. mackandproud macrumors 6502

I LOVE my macbook. It's beautiful, reminds me of my beloved pismo, yet has modern horsepower and speed. One area I'd like to see (hear, actually) is improvement in sound quality. I'm listening to some songs of varying sound quality (a few 128kbps, others at 1411kbps AIFF) through some high quality head phones: Koss Portapros. Regardless of the volume, the sound is "distant" and doesn't quite sound full or alive. It's like I'm listening to music from a great distance.

I'm not quite sure what the problem is. I listen to mp3's all the time on my portable mp3 player through the same Koss headphones, and my music sounds GREAT.

What can I do to improve sound quality? A headphone amp?

2. groovdudeyo macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

it could be the headphones arent compatible with the mac in some way. get some iPod headphones

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

well that's just stupid (sorry)

-the best thing you could upgrade is the digital to analog converter. This could either be done with an external soundcard, or with a D/A converter that has an optical in (from your headphone out port).

I recomend looking at Mytek Digital, but their stuff will run you about $1k.

- a headphone amp will be an improvment, but wouldn't be as big as a better converter.

4. groovdudeyo macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

ya i guess it was but hey the guy didnt have any replies yet i was tryin to help in any way i could

5. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

In iTunes, click on Window / Equalizer. If it's on, turn it off and see if that makes a difference.

Also, in iTunes / Preferences / Playback, turn off Sound Enhancer if it's turned on.