Improving MBP Performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UncleheFTy, Sep 12, 2011.

1. UncleheFTy macrumors member

Good afternoon,

I am suffering a bit with the dual problems of using Excel and a restricted RAM (2Gb). Does anyone here know of a fool-proof (me being the fool) to improve the performance of a MacBookPro 1.1 that has a 2Gb Ram and a 2.67 Mhz processor. The symptoms are that when I save a large and complex set of spreadsheets (all interlinked) it will occasionally say 'Not enough memory'.

In every other way the MBP is a superb machine that has lasted well over the past 5/6 years.

I am loathe to spend £1500 min for a new MBP.

Uncle H

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Doubling the RAM would be pretty much your only option. Luckily that should solve the problem.

3. UncleheFTy thread starter macrumors member

Thought that too - but by all accounts the MBP1.1 (2006) can only read 2Gb - dashed unsporting of them don't ya think?:D

4. xpcker macrumors regular

o men i have a 2010 15" and i have lots of hard time with excel, i most work with databases and its all laggy =(

i would recomend trying to change it for a 2010 model, the difference is quite a bit, and from 2006 to 2011 with the sandy bridge is a LOOOOOOOOOOT of difference, you can get one not too expensive if you search well =)