Improving MBP Speed?

Flat4.Tony

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
So as of lately my macbook (early 2011 rev) seem to be getting the beach ball more and more. :(

I have a bone stock macbook aside from a 1Tb drive. Would ram help? Or a fresh install of lion?

I do have a gaming computer, I7 875k @ 4.2ghz.

So i'm not using the macbook pro for gaming. Just mainly web browsing, slowly getting into photography(photoshop, LR) , I multitask a bit. But nothing where 4gb isn't enough. Or least I think so.

Any suggestions?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So as of lately my macbook (early 2011 rev) seem to be getting the beach ball more and more.
Performance Tips For Mac OS X
Would ram help?
To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

Flat4.Tony

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor
My swaps are around 750mb. Hmm. I'll restart again and see if it changes.

Flat4.Tony

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Don't forget to check the list in the first link I posted. That can go a long way to improving performance without buying RAM.
I did. It didn't have much that affect me. But I've looked over and applying them now.

But thanks for suggesting!

Flat4.Tony

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Hmm, it seems that. 0 Swap after some photoshop and lightroom. Speeds feels back to where it normally was at.

I guess I just need a reboot with a few start up items(cal and mail). I had chrome and pages open as well.

Weird.

Thanks for the suggestions!