Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willybNL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I wanted to start programming a little to improve the dock to give the following extra behaviour to it:
* when a mousecursus is on the dock and you start scrolling left/right, expose should open and let you scroll thrue the windows of that program (like apple-tab, but more live).
* when program is open and has focus due to 1st click in dock, the 2nd click should open new window of that program
* Allowing a user to add a little space between programs so they can group the programs.

I guess to really will improve the overall dock performance (at least will help to be released of the constant telling 'open new window'.
But before i start... there is no such program right? Hate do to things that already excists.

Nym

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
Porto, Portugal
1 - The first thing I can't understand what it is you are imagining, kinda like Vista scrolls through windows? sorry, can't understand :)

2 - Humm, probably this can be done, not by me though, the only coding I know is ActionScript, lol.

3 - Yep, you can do this, there are Apps out there that give you the possibility to group dock icons in categories, just can't remember the name now :eek:
(I remember DockFun allows to run multiple docks)
Another way to do it is to download a "divider" dock icon, which is only a vertical dash, allowing you to split the dock visually in applications groups :)

Hope this helps

willybNL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
* when a mousecursus is on the dock and you start scrolling left/right, expose should open and let you scroll thrue the windows of that program (like apple-tab, but more live).

it's easy:

think about this:

You have multiple windows of safari open
Put the mouse on the dock, and let your mouse scroll
This scrolling will just open expose (as it is) with the program windows in front (also excists), new is that it will scroll by moving the scroll button of the mouse.
This should be intuitive enough right :)

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
1. when a mousecursus is on the dock and you start scrolling left/right, expose should open and let you scroll thrue the windows of that program (like apple-tab, but more live).

2. when program is open and has focus due to 1st click in dock, the 2nd click should open new window of that program
1. So it sounds to me like you want Exposé for minimized windows. Not a bad idea.

2. I don't think you can do this... I think it's up to the applications what they do when you click their Dock icon.

lorductape

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2006
t3h usa
write to apple why dont you. unless you rewrite the code, not a good idea plus it will be hard, I don't think you can do anything.

BengalDuck

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
While you're at it, I would love for the dock to be able to be up above, instead of left, right, or below. If it were to hide, just a small space in the center of the menu bar would be all that you wopuld need to make it appear.

I really dislike the dock locations, and I already use the menubar a lot so I wish all of my commands would be up top.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
While you're at it, I would love for the dock to be able to be up above, instead of left, right, or below. If it were to hide, just a small space in the center of the menu bar would be all that you wopuld need to make it appear.

I really dislike the dock locations, and I already use the menubar a lot so I wish all of my commands would be up top.

Then download TinkerTool and move your Dock to the top! :D

BengalDuck

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Haha thanks... I was about to find the Freeware thread in Applications and ask if there was anything that could do this. I used to have no problem with hiding it on the right but that's where my 2nd monitor is now (when it's connected) and it's connected.

My gf just called and I forgot what I was typing. Haha...thanks for the link. I'll check it out. ;)

willybNL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
It sounds like these are what you're after.

Nr 3 = solved :)
Though this is really ugly and the images are way to wide... this will help for the time beiing...

But nr 1 & 2 were the real points.
Well... if they don't excist i just have to start learning some os-x programming :) Or put a faked video online, call it OSX 10.6 to draw apple's attention and tell them it's just a point to be taken into consideration ;):):) (hell yeah, i'll start doing that last one first and get patent on it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.