Improving wireless performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mark28, Aug 17, 2010.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

It's perfect in the living room, but when covering very long distances it's just not as good.

Any solutions other than getting airport extreme?

2. ccashman92 macrumors regular

A wifi booster, but they are quite expensive.

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

how far of a distance are you trying to cover?

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

5. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

Just buy another wireless and turn it into an Access Point.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11233

I wouldn't spend over $100 on a router like Extreme. It's too expensive. You can buy two good routers with that money.

6. Fabiano macrumors regular

I wonder why Wireless performance of Macbooks is so *****? My brother's crappy $200 netbook gets better signal on Wi-fi than my $2000 "N" powered Macbook Pro.

7. xaquaticx macrumors regular

It has a case made out of metal. MacBook Pros and PowerBooks have always had crap Wifi since going with metal cases. Sometimes, Apple has really stupid engineering. Like this, the iPhone 4, hockey puck mouse on first iMac, etc. Really sad. I seriously lay most of the blame Steve Jobs himself. He is notorious for putting form over function many a time. For another example, how about the razor-sharp wrist rests on the new MBP? Nice way to accidentally commit suicide I suppose. :rolleyes:

8. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

I have no idea what some of you are saying.

My Time Warner connection is supposed to be 20 down, 2 up. I get 25 down and 1.7 up (Speedtest.net) for internet speeds. Pingtest.net confirms zero packet loss, 30ms ping, low jitter, a quality connection, as far as internet. Local LAN is a bit slow, but that's normal when you're working with 100% wireless devices.

One thing I don't have is wireless interference. My AP is isolated, the only wireless interfering device is the Wii, which isn't doing too much.

On my hotspot I also get decent speeds considering the hotspot itself.

9. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

what are YOU talking about?! the OP wants to increase the distance of his wireless network.

10. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

What am I talking about? This:

My response is effectively saying that my MacBook has experienced absolutely none of these issues so I have no idea what their origin is.

11. Fabiano macrumors regular

Try getting more distance from you AP. Wireless signal of the MBP will die where other notebooks will still be getting signal. I have seen it a lot.

12. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

13. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Try www.wifi-link.com? At least that was the google ad on my computer when reading this thread.

14. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

My router is 15 feet away. Solid signal. In the bedroom it becomes 30 feet. Still solid signal. I've gotten signal down the street from my apartment - 100 feet as the bird flies - still solid signal. Through walls, even with blatant interference from various devices (when I had them), still solid.

Again, I have not experienced this phenomenon. Then again I'm running a Belkin N+ router, so I imagine it's putting stuff out stronger than your average router.

15. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

I have the same router, however I am never more than 20 feet from it. About to move into my dorm (t-minus 4 days) and we'll see how that router performs.

16. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I have the same problem...I have the AE...when I'm downstairs it works great since its 20 or so feet away, but when I go upstairs...which is roughly 15 feet above it, connection goes down 1-2 bars...this is lame...

17. Fabiano macrumors regular

You hava a 802.11N router. Of course the MBP will perform better since it has a N card. But Still sucks on "G" routers compared to other notebooks. That is my point, I have a G router, and N routers are not so popular yet. The places I use most are still stuck on the 802.11G technology.

18. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Get a Mobile Hotspot. Then you don't have to worry about it at all.

19. Fabiano macrumors regular

I have a solution for my problem already. Im just saying that Wireless of the MBP sucks. Thats a fact.

20. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Fixed. And in my experience, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the MBP's wireless when using the proper hardware.

21. Fabiano macrumors regular

I mean, compared to another cheaper notebooks. they usually have antennas on the extremities of the lid, and are made of plastic. Apple's solution can be beautiful, but its not that efficient.

22. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

How far exactly?
    I get a full signal on a different floor.

23. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

People, you need to stop referring to wireless signals as "full signal" or "two bars." SNRs are far more useful and descriptive when determining who has a real issue and who doesn't.

24. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Before I got my Airport Extreme, my only option was cantenna.

Just point them in the right direction and they will keep your from losing connection, if that's your problem.

[​IMG]

25. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Dunno. I had worse issues keeping a signal with my old P7805u (full plastic and ugly to boot) than with my MacBook Pro. Guess it's definitely different strokes.

Not when people don't know that SNR = signal noise reduction, which I would wager is the majority of those who would claim to experience the issue. Besides Mr. Gates, you of all people should know that sometimes you have to state things in terms the layman understands even if it's not "proper". Please...tune your antennas down a bit.