Improving your 3G service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swr2000, Aug 21, 2008.

1. swr2000 macrumors member

I've had the EXACT same issues with connectivity and dropped calls as a majority of members on the board. I did three things today and I'm doing tremendously better.

1.) I complained to AT&T and spoke to a rep. After the rep told me to "take your battery out and do a hard reset" after I told him 5 times I have an iPhone, I asked for his manager. The manager apologized (amazing in itself) and did a software push to my phone.

2.) I had apple replace my initial 3G phone

3.) I got a new SIM card from AT&T since I've had the same one since my initial iPhone.

I don't know which of the above did it but I'm moving tremendously better today. Better reception, I haven't dropped a call since I did this, and I'm not getting those 302 server errors. My guess is that it was the push AT&T did. I'm use to Verizon where they have the *228 option to update your phone. Apparently (at least according to the manager) when you pull the battery out of a phone and put it back in, it does a search for new "software". If you can't pull out the battery for the iPhone you can't update. I'd suggest calling AT&T and asking for the "data push".

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

A software push to your phone?

I doubt that happened.

Probably the replacement iPhone.

3. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

And how did you have the original sim card if you activated in store?

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Ha, software push. He ********ted you more than Bush did the world with Iraq.

5. swr2000 thread starter macrumors member

I've actually seen it referenced on this board by someone else. Either way I'm not complaining anymore

I meant the original 3G SIM I had, that's my fault for not being clearer. I'm on my third 3G phone. I previously had a replacement phone, and kept the original SIM. Today I got a brand new one from AT&T

6. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

I'm sure the manager said or meant an activation push. It's basically a re-provisioning of your service and pushing the notification of abilities out to the handset. Yes it exists, and yes I can perform one myself from my AT&T Premier site for every handset on my account...even my iPhone.

7. Espo macrumors 6502

How did you do that?

8. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

He has a Premier account. I don't think the normal everyday unwashed masses can do that online, although I could be wrong.