Impulse buy, tell me I did right...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Derwood, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Derwood macrumors regular

Dudes,

I've just spent £27 on a Model M7641LL/A, AGP Graphics G4 Sawtooth. It's got a 400mhz CPU, stock graphics card, 512mb RAM and an 80gb HD. All I really want to know is that I haven't paid over the odds...

The purpose to which I'm hoping to put it is as a network drive/media server. I'm thinking of sticking another drive in it and plugging it into our router and using it as a network attached storage device OR possibly adding an AGP card with either S-Video or composite out and using it for DVD/Video playback. Sound like a reasonable idea?

I blinking hope so...

Derwood

2. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I guess you would pay almost 27 pound for a 80 gig hard drive so the answer is yes.

3. Reach macrumors 6502a

lol 27$ is 1/100th of what people in here are usually talking about, so I was expecting someone who bought a new Mac Pro on impulse.. Which would have been a far better story, although yours was more fun, considering the surprisefactor. ;)

Anyway, it'll work ok as a server with some more HD-space, just hope it's not too noisy!

4. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Even if it's noisy, since you're using it as a server-type machine you could put in in another room — provided you have the necessary cabling/wireless networking in place — and control it via Apple Remote Desktop, thereby allowing you to have it headless. Saves space too! :D

5. Derwood thread starter macrumors regular

Cool beans. Glad it gave you a giggle. A MacPro on impulse! That kind of money, I honestly think I'd have to ask someone to buy it in my behalf. I'd be a gibbering wreck in the store. :eek: It was bad enough parting with £27...

I've been itching to get my hands on a project Mac for a little while. If it runs Tiger and I can use it in a pinch for email/office tasks then that's great. Found a Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb with S-Video for £50 on eBay. I'm tempted, very tempted...

PCI USB 2.0 Controllers are super cheap at the moment it seems. I saw one that has four external and two internal. Could someone please give an example of what the internal USB might be used for?