impulse mac book pro buy? (got a mbp today!)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weblogik, Nov 23, 2007.

1. weblogik macrumors regular

Hi
    I have been scouting the mac pro forum for a couple of months waiting for the new Pennryin mac pros, eh, still not here

my intention was to buy a top of line mac pro and then a laptop...

Been kind let down by the wait and really wanting to get my hands on a mac, today i pickedup a macbook pro from macmall taking advantage of their black friday discounts... I'll be using it primarily for adobe cs3 (ps, illustrator, indesign, dw)
    this is what i got,
    17" 2.33 ghz 160gig hd, 2gigs of ram, no sales tax, free shipping
    $2099 after rebates
    This seemed like a great deal. I kinda wanted a larger hd and will want to ad ram, (if anyone can direct me to best deal sites that would be appreciated)
    Only thing is i was really thinking i should have gotten a high resolution screen 1920 wide so that i could plug out to my 24inch monitor at same rez, but the one i got is 1680 but the price was coming to $2800 with that
    I also didnt feel like spending the money on applecare but will prolly get it before the 60 days from purchase

I dont feel great about this purchase right now cause it was a bit of an impulse buy, but you guys think i got a good deal????

I got a vaio once with a high rez screen and did not like it, i currently have a 1680 wide screen, my only gripe is how it will look on my 24 inch screen

anyway, kinda excited now :)

2. weblogik thread starter macrumors regular

i just read external monitor resolution up to Up to 2560x1600 ???

is this right?? if so im stoked :)

damn it. This is what i mean about impulse buy. I have been planning a new mac pro for months and i bought a macbook pro on the same day i looked into it...

this is an "older" model rigth? Whats the difference in performance to the new ones? Can i add a second hd up to how many gigs:?

What about ram? does it come with 2x1 , so if i buy a 2gig stick will i only be able to go up to 3 unlessi replace both?

DID I MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE??? i still got time to change/ cancel it!

3. weblogik thread starter macrumors regular

NO love!

well i got most questions answered, 3 gigs is top memory it seems

$2099? good price? not sure it seems good to me :)

4. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Thats an awesome price.. congrats!

I have a 2.33 15in MBP with 2 gigs of RAM and I love it. I recently upgraded my HD to a 200gb Hitachi Travelstar which I am very pleased with. The difference between the model you have and a newer model is the chipset, video card and processor... and the newer models can address up to 4gb of ram.

You made a great choice IMO, this machine will be your new best friend for the next few years.

Here are my recommendations for Ram and Hard Drive upgrades, however I would tell you to use it for a few weeks before you make any decisions.

5. weblogik thread starter macrumors regular

Truuuue!
    do you know if i can hook up my 24inch monitor to the mbp and run it at 1920 rez????

I might just run this bad boy as my main design machine if thats the case !

6. rlandrigan macrumors newbie

The MBP will push a 30in display, so a 24 is no problem:)

7. weblogik thread starter macrumors regular

so i guess the mbp screen resolution has nothing to do with external output?

man thats pretty rad. might not get a mac pro for a looong while then!

8. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

I myself was thinking of originally getting a Mac Pro simply for the fact that I could connect it up to a 30" Apple Cinema Display, which has always been one of my dreams ever since I saw the setup for the first time.

But considering how similar the prices were for the MBP and the Mac Pro I decided that it was better value for money to get the laptop. That way I'd get a display built in, have a portable solution and get the iSight and Front Row remote control included not to mention the backlit keyboard.

Remember you can use your MBP's display AND a 30" at the SAME TIME. I've got the Hi-Res display on my MBP so it means I would be able to get 6.4 megapixels of resolution! Even with your standard resolution MBP and the 24" monitor you're thinking of you'd end up with over 4 megapixels!

Even now with so many applications open at once my MBP doesn't break a sweat and I have loads of free memory. I can even play games thanks to the decent graphics card. All in all, unless you NEED all that extra processing power (and most people don't, unless number crunching / video editing is a must), a faster graphics card or the ability to upgrade more easily, then the MBP is basically a portable Mac Pro. It can feel like a laptop one minute and a fully fledged desktop the next when using an external display with keyboard and mouse.

The best of both worlds I say, and I'd never go back, you made the right decision! Who needs a Mac Pro when you've got a Mac[book] Pro? Hell, I might even put that phrase as my new signature ... :D

9. typerlover macrumors regular

I would say it wasn't a good impulse buy. You obviously are planning on using the laptop connected to an external, so the 17" is unnecessary and you should have gotten a 15". Secondly, the model IMO is not worth it, considering it is a past generation and if you are planning on spending over $2k you should definitely have the latest, no matter what.

I would cancel it if at all possible, go with a 15", either the high end or you could even be fine with the 2.2 at $1699 on apple's refurb page. Will save you some cash, be more portable, and work you the same. Or just cancel it outright and wait till january

10. weblogik thread starter macrumors regular

I could never own a laptop with a screen smaller then 17inch as i design for print and need the screen real estate (and i work from my couch quite a bit..)

except for the ram bump up, the benchmarks between my 2.33 and the current 2.4 do not seem significant enough to excuse the extra $700

i wasn't sure yesterday but today im feeling pretty groovy about the purchase :)

11. jeff^d macrumors member

Congrats! I, too, made an impulse MBP buy today. The deals at MacMall were the sweetest I've seen since seriously looking for a MBP.

A 17" for $2099 is a great deal and that machine should last you for years to come. Did you take advantage of any other MacMall deals, like the free printer/scanner/copier, free case, or free Parallels?

12. bntz313 macrumors 6502

You guys got an great deal, I just bought mine like a month ago off the mac refurb site for 2330 shipped

13. weblogik thread starter macrumors regular

i took the free case and the $9.99 parallels 3.0 :)