Impulsive but also have need

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by gg987, Apr 18, 2012.

1. gg987 macrumors newbie

Hi All.

This is my first post. Love to read all the info and opinions here. Now I need help.

I have a 2008 MBP 17". I like to mess with things and have a bad habit of trying out a lot of programs, so even though I wiped the HD and reinstalled just what I wanted, it's still really slow and very irritating. Have taken it to Genius Bar and they've been very nice but really couldn't help.

I also have a 2008 MBA with a 128 GB SS drive. It was also running slowly but I fixed it and now it's fine.

I use the MBP at home and take the Air to work when I need to do more than I can do on my iPad.

Anyway, I'm going to give up on the MBP and want to use the Air as my home computer but the HD is too small. Otherwise I love this laptop! However it did cost $700 more than the current top of the line 13" .

So the other day I was in the Apple Store which unfortunately is only 15 min from my house. I have been lusting after the new Airs. And somewhat impulsively I bought a 13" for home and 11" to travel with, both with i7 processor and 256GB SS drives. I've been transferring my data to a LaCie 120GB USB key, which is a very useful gadget, and haven't opened the boxes yet on the laptops. Have also resolved to be selective in the programs I install on new laptop so it doesn't go the way of the others.

I never do gaming, so not sure if a faster processor really matters, and I don't care about retina display. Also I suppose it's not likely but I don't know what the price point will be on the next generation.

Am I dumb to get these new laptops? I don't believe they are lacking anything I would want.

Would love to hear some opinions.

And for those who have read this all the way to the end, I appreciate your persistence.

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

In my opinion you didn't need them.

How can you impulse buy 2 laptops?

Why didn't you wait for the 2012 ones?

3. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

You probably didn't need the faster processors, and if you don't need them now, you can be sure the current generation will be cheaper when the next gen comes out (even now you could buy a refurb). But I understand how hard it is to resist when the urge hits. I bought a mini-Mac recently, knowing that it was fast enough for my needs regardless of what comes in a few months (and also knowing I'll buy a MacBook Pro.

4. mac26 macrumors 6502

I think it was purely an impulse buy and that you should consider picking only one. Before you open them go back to the Apple Store and see which one is best in terms of screen size, battery, etc. or if you want a large screen at home buy a Thunderbolt display (+ wireless keyboard + Magic Mouse) and keep the 11" for portability.

That's what I would do

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

To "impulse buy" two new MacBooks like that to add to a at least 2 MacBook you already have, you must be extremely well off, and in which case you don't need justification for buying them. On the other hand, if you're just addicted to shopping and these are paid for on credit that can't be repayed easily, return them both and enjoy the two devices you already have.

6. gg987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your thoughts. The MBP really is impossibly slow and can't be used. The MBA has a small hard drive, and BTW I'm going to give it to my daughter.

I have traveled extensively with my MBA and when I'm schlepping stuff thru the airport I notice the additional weight. (Maybe I'm just a wimp). I feel that the 11" is minuscule compared to the 13". Also, I take it my laptop to work several days a week, and work long hours, so there is rarely a chance for Time Machine to complete a backup. This wouldn't happen if I were to leave a computer at home. In addition to Time Machine I have a 120 GB LaCie USB key which I use to backup data. I really believe in multiple backups. The La Cie is 3.0 and I'm using it with my 2.0 but the transfer rate seems very fast.

And whether I get one or two, I have a concern about buying right before new models are released. I've read so many different opinions about when and what the next version will be. I do feel that this version suits my needs but what I really need is a crystal ball.

Having said all that, I would be very happy to hear more advice if anyone out there has some. I'm definitely having trouble with this purchase. I own several Apple products and have never before worried about the model I bought. This indecision is painful.

7. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Why can't you impulse buy laptops? I do it all the time. It's just like anything else.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I still don't get the need for two. I'd get one MBA and one iMac.

9. gg987 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't want a desktop computer, that's all.

10. digitalhen macrumors regular

+1 for the 11" and a Thunderbolt Display. The difference between 11" and 13" is marginal at best when they've both for you :)

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, you are certainly entitled to not having one, but since you asked for opinions, two MBAs make no sense. I guess an MBA + MBP would make more sense, being able to have more storage/screen/power in one.

But, to each his own. Good luck.

12. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

It was a question of cost, like: "Wow, how can you afford that!" kind of question.

Also it is a stupid way to purchase things because you don't spend time working out what is best for you.

13. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

I think two is a mistake.

Buy the 13". or, if you can wait, get the ivy bridge when it comes out.

if it was me I would have bought the 13" and a Thunderbolt Display.

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I just wish I had as much money as you people....

15. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Don't worry about it ... if you can afford both, keep both and enjoy them. :cool:

I have both an 11" and 13" MB Air and use both of them when appropriate. I also have a MBPro and use it as well when appropriate. I don't know that I could find an absolute reason to eliminate one of the Airs which wouldn't cause me to regret my decision.

The 11" is my travel computer ... and the 13" is my "couch" computer. :)

16. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

If funds allow, keep both, I not id keep 13" as much as I want to say 11 could work for both, sometimes you just want to be on your couch or do some work in bed, 11" is just too small.

17. gbredneck macrumors member

gbredneck

I have to admit to agreeing to the last 2 comments, i also have both an 11 and 13 inch mba and also a 17" MBP, If you can afford them, keep them, each of my machines has a different use for me.

My 13 is my main work machine, the 17 comes out when need the horse power and the 11 is a couch machine.

Just my two penneth.

18. racer1441 macrumors 68000

It's not all that expensive.

19. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

thats not boastful...

20. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Just accurate.

21. LordVic macrumors 601

I think you definitely impulsed bought without thinking through it that well. Which is ok, we all do that, I bought a car on impulse once! (though I love it).

What I think you didn't understand is the point though of the AIR. you bought 2. one for your home and one for mobile. The entire point of the MBA is mobility and portability.

You really didnt need two. One would be more than sufficient. using 1 machine in stead of the two means less data to sync, less cables, less hassle. you can pick up and go the one you use as a "home computer" and be on the road with it identical to sitting at home.

I would honestly recommend either reselling the one you think you'd use least, or returning it. Not even getting into the "wasted money" of it, But who really wants to have a unused computer sitting around. just a waste of "stuff". or "kipple"

22. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

the boasting continues...

23. gg987 thread starter macrumors newbie

I never unwrapped the new Air's. Haven't had time. Actually, as I might have said, was going to give the 2008 Air to my daughter. She would love it. Anyway, I'm going to try to resurrect 17" Macbook Pro and keep MBA. Returned the 2 Air's. The reason I wanted an Air for home is that if I take it to work Time Machine never has enough time to finish backup, and since I've had the Air I find the MBP really clunky. Will wait till the new ones come out and see how thin this 15" MBP is. If it is will get that and 11" MBA.
    Thanks for all the input.

24. Xikum macrumors 6502

How is several thousands of dollars on laptops"not that expensive"?

Grow up, and take the silver spoon out your mouth.

25. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Seriously though, if you have to think about the cost of any purchase, you shouldn't be making that purchase.