Impurities in aluminium

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Samtb, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Samtb macrumors 65816

Can the aluminium used in Apple products have impurities which can cause small black dots in it?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

No.

The small black dots some users notice on their macbook pros is due to their skin's oils or their sweat corroding the material. They usually appear on the palm rests of the computer after a few months to a few years of use.

3. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

But I've heard of people seeing it there the day they got it, even if its almost unnoticable. I've also heard of very small dark patches being on the material. So I would have thought these are either impurities or small manufacturing defects.

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

5. Ploki macrumors 68010

mine happened after I dropped some USB cables that made tiny chips in the coating... The sweat got in and ruined the laptop.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Just like car's finishes, if you don't take care of the nicks, the "cancer" will grow over time.

So, do they bother you enough to warrant a partial refurb, clean and clear-coat each nick but may leave un-even blotches, or a full refurb, disassemble everything, sand and re-clearCoat (very time consuming).

7. BeeJee macrumors 6502

The **** are you talking about? There's no clear coat on Macs

8. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Yeah what are you talking about?

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I will stop responding now due to foul language.

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The finish you see on the Macbook line isn't the actual aluminum metal. They've been coated (anodized) to give them the silver textured finish, so that's actually what you see.

I guess it's possible that there could be specks or flaws in that anodized coating, but I don't think that's from 'impurities' in the aluminum.

11. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

What about dirt or dust of some sort from the factory? Could these cause dark patches in the aluminium? What do scratches on these products actually look like ?

12. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

Can someone post pictures of what this looks like on a MacBook?

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

[​IMG]