In a bind, failed install on iBook G4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DTphonehome, Feb 13, 2008.

1. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

Hey Everyone,
    I have a little problem...I wanted to wipe my old iBook G4 (running 10.4) clean and do a fresh install of 10.5. I couldn't install 10.5 because the iBook is only 800mhz, and using LeopardAssist didn't work. Anyway, I'm not doing anything important on the iBook so I decided why bother with 10.5, I'll just install 10.4. So, the only copies of 10.4 I have are the ones that came with my iBook, and the one that came with my iMac G5.

I tried installing using the disc that came with the iBook, but install failed after my drive was already wiped clean. I looked at the disc, and see that it's scratched to hell. So that disc won't work. I tried using the install disc that came with my iMac G5, but it won't let me install 10.4 on my iBook. So now I have an iBook with no OS, and no copies that are install-able.

Oh, if it matters, I'm installing onto the iBook using the iMac's DVD drive in Target-disk mode, because the iBook's drive isn't working (I think it may have scratched up the install disc).

Any advice?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You could try Craigslist or eBay for a copy of Tiger, try a disc repair device (like discDR) to fix the DVD, use a faster PPC Mac to install Leopard via Target Disc Mode, or take your scratched disc to an Apple Store or Service Provider and see if they will install from another disc.

3. DTphonehome thread starter macrumors 68000

Interesting...I like the idea of using the faster iMac to install Leopard. So basically I just run the installation on the imac, and have the iBook's drive be the target? That would work?

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes, but I'm unsure if the version that would be detected and installed from the G5 would work on the G4, since the G5 is 64 bit. You could try, maybe selecting a universal or G4 version when under custom installer settings.

TEG

5. DTphonehome thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, that was my thought as well...that maybe the G5 would think that the Leopard install was on just another drive on it's own system, and not install the correct files for the G4. Or worse, maybe it would screw up my current Leopard install on the G5 when I disconnect the G4?

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

That is why I think that trying to fix the disc would be your best bet, or try to get someone else to install if for you.

TEG

7. DTphonehome thread starter macrumors 68000

OK, I tried installing Tiger once more, thinking that maybe it was a connection error with the target drive, and not the scratching that botched the last install. This time it worked! Tiger is installed properly. Thanks for the advice! I don't think I'm going to bother with Leopard.