In a Bit of a Predicament...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ideal.dreams, Oct 21, 2010.

1. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Wondering if anyone can help me here. My family has 3 iPhone 4's, and I have one myself. All of which are still running 4.0.1 and are all jailbroken. I just discovered the new FaceTime feature for Mac yesterday and when I try to call any one of the iPhone 4's, I get the error, "<name> needs to update to the latest version of FaceTime." I know this is because we're not on 4.1, so my question is - will I be able to re-jailbreak my iPhone if I update?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can JB 4.1
    There's 3 different programs that will do it.
    Pwnage tool, Limerain and greenpoison.

3. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

So JailBreakme.com will not work, correct? Also, out of the three you've given me, which is the easiest? Or are they all pretty much the same?

4. gnychis macrumors 6502

yes use greenpoisen

5. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I'm ready to update my iPhone to iOS 4.1...what are the steps I should take to go about doing this? I am currently running 4.0.1, jailbroken via jailbreakme.com. Would I just plug in my iPhone, back it up, download/install 4.1, restore from backup, and then rejailbreak?

Will doing so mess up the way I have my apps laid out in my home screen?

Thanks...

6. ValenR macrumors member

If you rely on an unlock then you should jailbreak using tinyumbrella, that will keep your current baseband for you to use ultrasn0w to unlock.

I did it like this :

1. Backup via iTunes
    2. Turned tinyumbrella on and saved all SHSH blobs
    3. Started TSS server
    4. "Restored" (shift+left click) to 4.1 via iTunes
    5. jailbreak via greenpois0n
    6. restored from backup

Just make sure to get an app that backups your cydia apps just in case you have some. If not then it's not really that much of a problem. Do it at your own risk :p