In a bit of a quandary...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OverlyCaucasian, Jan 22, 2010.

1. OverlyCaucasian macrumors newbie

OverlyCaucasian

I have a 2007 MacBook Pro with the specs listed in my bio line below...

What I am trying to decide is this:
    should I buy a new model or just spend the 300 bucks, have this one serviced and just have a larger hard drive (Which is what I really want)? The processor is great, 800 MHz front side bus, 4 GB of level II cache...

any insight?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Buy the Scorpio Blue 500 GB for less than $100 and install it yourself
    Simple... the video is on ifixit.com

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If your machine is fine and just needs more space I'd recommend more space. You can get more space into that MB for less than $300. What goofball is telling you it'd be $300?

4. OverlyCaucasian thread starter macrumors newbie

OverlyCaucasian

Macservice.com.
    I have secondaey Progressive MS so doing it myself... no, haha.

Maybe someone could recommend service provider?

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, $300 isn't a bad price to have someone do it. If you know someone who you'd trust (not a professional, but tech-savvy enough to follow the manual), you can get it done cheaper, but while you might find a professional cheaper, you very well might not. It's the price you pay for not being able to do it yourself.

That said, sounds like you're looking at someplace not local? Finding a local shop is usually better. Where are you located?

jW

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Where are you located, that might help.

Getting the new hard drive seems like the way to go if that is all you want.

7. OverlyCaucasian thread starter macrumors newbie

OverlyCaucasian

Hulen, KY

Sucks that doing it myself is not EASILY going to happen. I really am thinking of buying a new one. How much life do you think my current Mac has? 2.4 GHz processor, 4 GB RAM, 800 MHz front side bus, 4 MB level II cache. I'm thinking if I sold it on eBay I would get at least $1100?

Mainly use it for writing, communicating with friends... no "heavy work." I had been a Windows user since Windows 95 and I thought Windows 7 had me totally sold than I bought a Mac, ha ha. Now I have been "bitten by the Apple bug" & want the latest and greatest.

That and I am a bit frivolous...

8. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Your current MacBook Pro is fine. And really, with an online tutorial, installing a new hard drive is a breeze. Yes, even for non-techies. Just have the proper instruments (screw drivers) at hand and print the tutorial before doing the swap.

9. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Is the drive full?

If its not, then whats the point?

If it is, what are the large things taking up space on your drive?

Music? Movies? Spend $100 on a portable external and store those files there....

Getting a new MBP will get you nothing in terms of speed or performance for what you are doing.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Faster drive = faster sleep wake, faster app launch, etc.

11. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

True enough.

But with the maybe 3 whole applications the OP uses not sure thats an issue?

And seriously, $300 to install a drive is wild.

Even a 500 gig 7200 rpm drive is under $100, so now you are talking $200 for install... that might take someone that has done one a few times about 30 minutes, max.

12. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Yeah, if they're asleep.

I wish we were geographically closer so I could do it for you. I have a sister in law with MS and it's a royal PIA for her too. But then, who am I to stand between a machead and the newest mac??? :p

13. brendu macrumors 68020

Your machine is still a really solid one, I would recommend just getting the HDD and if you have a friend or family member near by who can install it for you it really is not too hard, tutorials can be found in many places, youtube, google, even here probably. If you dont have help, paying for the professional service is worth it. I would want the newest model too if I were in your shoes but given your usage it really is not worth the extra cost...

14. OverlyCaucasian thread starter macrumors newbie

OverlyCaucasian

Thank all of you for your thoughtful input.
    Yes, for space, an external HD will do.

:)

15. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

The Seagate 7200.4 500GB laptop HDD is an excellent drive, and well worth your $100. If you can get by having somebody be your hands while you tell them how to exchange the drives, you will save a ton of money. It's a very simple procedure, so if you have anyone who can help you that knows how to use a screwdriver, the two of you can do this job in 10 minutes. A decent video guide is available HERE. If your current hard drive still works, get yourself an external hard drive case like THIS, and:
    1. Put the new HDD in the case, attach it to the macbook
    2. Format the Drive Mac OSX Journaled in Disk Utility
    3. use a free program like SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner to clone your current drive to the new one.
    4. Swap the drives

Then you're done, and you can use the old drive for extra storage.

16. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Wherever you do live, for 300US$ you could ship it to Dresden Germany, I could change the Drive, put the 160GB in an external case and keep 50 US$ and ship altogether back to you - and If you like I would clean the exhaust too ;)

17. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

I'm usually pretty cautious taking people's advice on doing things myself. But in this case it really isn't a big deal.

When people told me to change all four shocks on my 2004 half ton truck, I'm really glad I paid someone to do it.

You've got the tools, resources and support to do it yourself with someones help or like others have said find someone savvy to do it for you, and follow the tutorials. You might make a few small mistakes but nothing that matters as you'll be installing from Scratch or using the migration tool (which is very easy). And when you're done you'll be surprised how easy it was and maybe even have a sense of satisfaction!:D

18. ChrisA macrumors G4

My brother is unable to do even simple screw driver work and cant lift even a notebook to turn it over but he actually worked for a while as a PC tech. He had a few $8/hr guys follow him around and he'd tell them what to do step by step.

19. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

I'm in the same boat. This is the quote I got from our local authorized dealer. They quoted 1 hr labor plus parts.

20. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

1 hour labor :eek:, it didn't take a fraction of that to change the hard drive in my mac.

21. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

Mine is the older aluminum macbook pro. Check my signature. Wouldn't think about paying someone else if I had a unibody mac. Also with my computer I was not wanting to void my warrantee.

Now I'm waiting till march when the warrantee runs out so I can do it to save cost.