In a fix!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tolamurts, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Tolamurts macrumors newbie

Okay so I pretty much had my mind completely set on getting a MacBook, and went into the store with full mind of walking out of there with one in my hand, but whilst browsing the store I noticed PC laptops with better specs for a significantly cheaper price tag.

One specific example would be an HP Pavilion laptop; this PC had 4GB's of RAM, a 320GB HDD, nVidia Graphics, 3 USB ports, several other ports the Macbooks don't have, 15'' monitor and was still about $300 cheaper than a BASE Macboook. It really put me in a fix; I don't get why it's so much cheaper than a BASE macbook with significantly better specs (a dedicated graphics card being just one of them)

So really, any help/insight would be appreciated. I walked into the store dead fixed on a Macbook, but walked out unsure.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It doesn't run OSX. That's it.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What, like VGA and PS/2? There's a reason Apple dropped those.

And it's OS X. OS X and the design. And the fact that Apple products can run Windows better than PCs with "lesser" hardware.

4. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

Don't just consider the specs of the computer, think about the reliablity the service and the form factor as well. I'm sure the macbook looks and feels better than that HP, and how many HP stores have you been to? Exactly, so if something goes sour with your mac you have a bunch of stores that can help you with it. If your HP breaks you're gonna have to jump through hoops to get some service. Always remember, there's a reason why something costs what it costs.

5. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Exactly; it's probably running the crippled version of Vista [Home Basic], which is garbage. I'm using my MB at work right now, and I don't really miss the 15.4 screen at all. Let's put it this way; 13.3 w/ OS X vs 15.4 with Vista? I'll take the 13.3 any day!!! Remember, a laptop is supposed to make you productive, and that's what OS X/Mac's do...

6. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

Quality, service and joy of use cost money. Those qualities are why you see all of us on this site dedicated to Apple products, not because we have loads of money to waste on "inferior" hardware but because we like quality, service and joy of use.

Now snap to your senses and go buy that macbook, you won't regret it!

7. drossad macrumors regular

I just bought my first Mac, a MBP high end 15" last generation. Before this I had an HP Pavilion laptop. I looked at the same HP you described before buying this too. I work in music, and I can tell you the speakers and internal mic on my MBP are much better. Plus my Mac came with garageband, which is a great entry level recording software package. The Mac is just better quality.

As far as the ports go:

1. 2 USB as opposed to 3 USB ports: get a hub
    2. VGA and S-video as opposed to DVI: A MBP comes with the DVI to VGA adapter, and you can buy one for the MB or even a DVI to S-Video
    3. SD/Multi card reader as opposed to none: Use the USB cord to import any photos from your camera

As for anything else, there is no real difference:
    1. Both have firewire
    2. Both have ethernet
    3. Both have wifi
    4. Both have headphone and mic inputs

But, the Mac has OSX and way better software.
    Get the Mac. If you get the HP you'll always be wondering "what if".
    Coming from someone who went from an HP Pavilion to a Mac ...
    ... you won't regret it.

8. HandleVandal Guest

HandleVandal

I believe PC's are priced the way they are b/c they're built almost for the sole purpose of being disposable.

I know that sounds snarky, and I know there are *real* reasons why a PC with better specs costs less but I don't feel like cheerleading for HP at the moment.

You'll save $300 now, but when you'll have to buy another PC in two years b/c this one is totally non-functioning, you'll wish you had just coughed up the money for a Macbook.

It says something when most people buy new Macs *not* necessarily b/c their old ones died, but b/c they have had them so long they simply need to upgrade. I have a 9 year old g3 imac and 5 year old g3 iBook that are nowhere near ready for retirement.

Personally I like the 13.3 screen, not too big, not too small, fits everywhere, perfect for a traveling laptop.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes, exactly. My Apple ][ still works. I still play The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy on it! Oh, and Number Munchers. That game is messed up, man.

10. HandleVandal Guest

HandleVandal

Awwwww, Apple ]['s!!!! I remember being in elementary school and thinking that there was nothing cooler on the planet! I don't care how many different incarnations of Oregon Trail have come out since then, none of them rock quite as much as OT on a green screen Apple ][.

(sorry, didn't mean to derail the discussion)

11. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

if theres one thing i learned about windows PC's during all my years of using them is that cpu speed and all the ram in the world wont help you when the computer starts getting bogged down with spyware, loaded registry and all the other crap that latches on to windows. so you have to take that into consideration.

12. MacFanatic08 macrumors member

13. CF Fighter macrumors member

I spent a good 3 months from Nov. 07 to Jan. 08 weighing the same thing you did and looking at models that fit the Macbook specs in size, weight, and batt. life and I was always coming back to the Macbook. Yes its more expensive upfront, but I feel like this is a laptop that will last me and OSX and the Mac experience overall has been nothing but a pleasure to use. I have had no crashes and I have not faced any kind of issue with files I need from my Windows desktop onto my Macbook.

Also the reason why the Windows machine may be lower in price is the Bloatware installed on the machine when you get it.

Also you won't need to invest in an anti: Virus, Spyware, or Adware program either and monitor that as much as you have to nowadays.

One more thing, the Mac user community is a lot friendlier than the Windows or Linux user community which has been an added bonus too.

14. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Oh no.

PLEASE don't get the HP.

I own that computer with the gimp vista on it and I want to throw it across the room.

I did the same thing you did but actually went through with it, and now, I'm saving up for a Mac two years later.
    And I really should have started saving a year ago.

Don't do it to yourself, you'll regret it.
    The extra money for the MB is worth it.
    Because you'll end up spending another grand a year or two later on a computer that actually works like me.

If you want though, you can buy the MB, and we could just trade. :p
    Just kidding!

15. Tolamurts thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh yeah about that; the little description with the specs said it had an Intel Core2Duo, but the little sticker on the laptop said 'Intel Centrino', so yeah suffice to say that stirred me off a little. Still, the specs surely had me confused enough to walk out empty handed =(
    Really that bad huh? I wouldve thought the decent CPU speed and vast amounts of RAM wouldve helped :confused:

Thanks for the replies guys; I know you get a lotta threads like this one, so I appreciate the replies :p ..open to hearing any other opinions. Keep 'em coming =)

16. Tolamurts thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh the ports weren't really a factor in my decision; I find the MacBooks have enough ports to satisfy me.

It's just the stuff like the graphics card, vast amounts of RAM, Hard disk space etc...

17. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

It does help, but I just personally will never justify ever buying a PC ever again. Ha.

To translate it, 4gb of ram on a pc with vista is equivalent to a mac with 2. And besides that, the OS is just worth the extra money in my eyes.

I'm sorry I keep babbling about this, I just really regret getting the computer I have now. Haha.

18. Apple-Man23 macrumors regular

think about this

back in 2004 i bought a iMac G5 and my cousin bought a dell laptop both ran fine until my cousin's laptop broke after a year and a half. fast-forward to the present. My cousin is on her third pc based computer and my iMac G5 is still running brilliantly!! So while the hp may be cheaper you may need to buy three to last as long as one mac will. good luck and please buy a mac you won't regret it!

19. Tolamurts thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha you guys can be pretty convincing and reassuring! Will go and get a Mac then. Thanks for the help guys.

:)

20. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

osx is only $130 OKAY!??!!

and my hp amd turion x2 1.9, is now 1 year old and is like new.. i never haz any screen problems like alot of the mbp, did not have Hd,speaker,case wraping,battery,heat (i have a geforce 7300), logic board, keyboard or corrosion problems :)

its not as fast as the mbp but..

21. zsft macrumors regular

Haha so Apple products CANNOT run Windows better than PCs with "equal" hardware.

I'd say it all depends on the user. I had an Asus W3V (1.73ghz, 1gb ram) since 2005. It ran faster than any of my friend's MB 2005-2007 (judging by feel, not bench mark, and of course Windows XP versus the Apple OS of that time) for some reason. But then the board was fried last May...

For the record I'm planning on getting a MBP in August, so it's not like I'm bashing OSX or anything, but to me it's 80% user 20% OS.

22. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

OSX is only $130 when licensed to run on a Mac. Apple have already made money on the hardware so the software price can be lowered. If Apple were licensing OSX for any hardware do you think it would still be $130? Or do you think it would be nearer the full retail price for Vista Ultimate (not OEM pricing). So lets call that the $400-$500 range...

23. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Build quality is very poor on some of the cheaper notebooks. Cheap plastic, ugly design, etc. The MacBook is distinctively different from all other notebooks, and that's what you're paying for: the design, the software, and how it's all integrated together.

24. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

[​IMG]

are you calling my laptop ugly? :D

and the build quality of the macbooks isnt that great at all

25. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Not ugly, but no different than any other non-Mac :p

The build quality of the MacBook is pretty good IMO. Even though there are defects (i.e. cracking case, palm rest turns brown, etc.), out of the box, it's build very solid. The cheaper computers have a lot of flex in the keyboard, lid, etc. and that characterizes a cheap laptop. Nothing wrong with the HPs, just saying that a Mac doesn't exhibit these features. That's why Macs are so much more expensive.