Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quad 2.5 G5 =)

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Why didn't Apple include a discrete GPU in the MacBook line back when there was a black MB available? (2006-2008) Unless there is something I'm missing, such as a space issue, they could have put in a Radeon HD 2400XT, just like in the iMac, which was their consumer-grade desktop, maybe as a BTO option. This is not future speculation, just a question on what could have been. If the MacBook had this graphics processor, would it have boosted sales by Apple being able to boast that it's entry-level portable had discrete graphics?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Heat and power consumption. Two things that the Blackbooks had/have a hard time keeping under control. Adding a better GPU would have pushed it too far.

Quad 2.5 G5 =)

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Heat and power consumption. Two things that the Blackbooks had/have a hard time keeping under control. Adding a better GPU would have pushed it too far.

Was this specific to BlackBooks, or any version of MBs in general?

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
While I can't speak for the battery life, my MacBook doesn't get very hot at all, at least compared to my PowerBook. It stays much cooler by comparison, even when I push it.

I've noticed that plenty of my friends with MacBooks also get considerably better battery life than the PowerBook/iBook lines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.