In ackward position regarding iphone purchase

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GRANTCKING, Jun 17, 2015.

  1. GRANTCKING macrumors regular

    Sep 17, 2013
    Hi, lost my iphone, wasnt insured so have to buy a new one myself, I use pay as you go, now heres my problem, with the new Iphone 3-4 months away whats my play? I really dont want to use a 6 year old nokia brick with no apps/internet/music etc for 3/4 months but then is it worth me buying an iphone 6 now when the new one is close, was thinking about buying a moto G android phone for like £90 on ebay and using it until the new iphone comes out then sell it out and hope I get a good price for it, but then ive never used android , should I do this or just suck it up and get the iphone 6? suggestions?
  2. LucasEVille macrumors regular


    Jun 8, 2015
    Nottingham & London, UK
    Have you got any old iphones kicking around? 3gs etc?
  3. Dsching Suspended


    Sep 11, 2014
    What do you expect from the next iPhone that the iPhone 6 won't do?
  4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

    Newtons Apple

    Mar 12, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It is really all about money. Do you have the spare money to get the 6? If not how about a 4 or 5? I just can;t see asking strangers to help make a choice like this when you are the one who should.
  5. GRANTCKING thread starter macrumors regular

    Sep 17, 2013
    nothing, literally only got an old nokia, none of my friends have any old smartphones either
  6. canman4PM macrumors 6502


    Mar 8, 2012
    Kelowna BC
    I'd be tempted (if I didn't have an old iPhone kicking around) to buy a used on somewhere. My kid just picked up a 5s somewhere for $125 CAD. That's less than £90.
  7. GRANTCKING thread starter macrumors regular

    Sep 17, 2013
    not sure, but it feels stupid paying the same price for a 6 when I could have the 6s or 7 with new tech if I wait 3.5 months
  8. GRANTCKING thread starter macrumors regular

    Sep 17, 2013
    yeh I can afford the iphone 6, my real dilema is finding a solution to get me by untill september or just biting the bullet and taking the 6 now
  9. GRANTCKING thread starter macrumors regular

    Sep 17, 2013
    jesus thats a bargain, I just looked online and the 5s on ebay are still going for over £200, do we think id still get close to this when the new one comes out?
  10. canman4PM macrumors 6502


    Mar 8, 2012
    Kelowna BC
    It's possible he bought it from someone he knew who was desperate for cash...

    I never asked.
  11. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

    Aug 4, 2014
    SFV, CA, USA
    A not-uncommon dilemma. Buy the 6. Any (significant) amount of money on an "interim" phone will be money wasted. The best phone to buy is the phone available at the time you need one -- and it sounds like you need one.
  12. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

    Andres Cantu

    May 31, 2015
    Rio Grande Valley in South Texas
    If there's even the slightest doubt (which you seem to have), do not buy it now. That way, you will not regret waiting later on. Usually one hears of people regretting not waiting a couple of months for the next iPhone, not regretting having waited for the next iPhone.
  13. ABC5S Suspended


    Sep 10, 2013
    Better CPU

    Possibly 2 GB of ram

    Better rear Camera

    Possible better front facing camera

    Better SIRI

    Possibly better screen glass

    Better finger print ID perhaps

    Better speakers perhaps as mentioned

    No, not much to expect :confused: :rolleyes:
  14. boomhower macrumors 68000


    Oct 21, 2011
    If it was me I'd buy a cheapo Nokia 635 Windows phone or a Moto E. No it's not an iPhone but it's a cheap but still decent smartphone to use for a couple of months. The Nokia can be had for $50USD brand new. The Moto sub $100 used. Both would be fine for a few months.
  15. geta macrumors 6502a

    May 18, 2010
    The Moon

    Looks like you need new phone now, not in 3-4 month... why not getting the one you want and finish the story ?
    Unless you're into the 'latest and the greatest' game, then get a cheap one till the new shiny 6s coming out...
  16. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000


    Aug 20, 2014
    NY, USA
    My mom is running into a similar issue. She makes tons of phone calls with her iPhone 5, and now the ear-piece is starting to fail. Sometimes it just doesn't make a peep when you call or answer, sometimes it works fine, and other times it works but it fizzles in and out, getting loud and soft, sounds fuzzy.. It isn't the other caller's problem because it happens with everyone.

    She isn't too technologically savvy, but she thankfully knows to get stuff when it is newest. Buying an iPhone now would be a bad idea because there will be a new one in a couple months and she knows that.

    So if her ear piece dies completely before the 6S is out, she will be forced to get a new iPhone at a really bad time.

    I personally think using a crap-phone while you are waiting would be worth it in the long run. Super difficult experience but if you have an iPad or something, just take it with you and connect to wifi. It's practically everywhere anyway.
  17. BrianBaughn macrumors 603


    Feb 13, 2011
    Baltimore, Maryland
    If the earpiece is actually the problem an earpiece repair is not too difficult. iFixit has the instructions and the part is at most $10. Repair kits are cheap online, too. Even if you don't repair it keep that in mind when and if you sell it.
  18. techspin macrumors 6502a

    Jul 21, 2014
    Buy a 5C to tide you over. Then when you need a backup between upgrades, you'll have a 5C kicking around.
  19. cousintim macrumors 6502


    Jan 14, 2015
    None of your friends is planning an phone upgrade?

Share This Page