In and Out Apple Store experience?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Intel Inside, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Intel Inside macrumors 6502

Hey everyone,

I'm in a position to buy a new Macbook Pro, and tried to buy one yesterday in the Apple Store. But when i told one of the employees that i wanted to purchase a Macbook Pro, i got the whole sales presentation and they told me everything i knew already! By the time he was done i had to leave, without my Macbook Pro.

So tomorrow I'm going to attempt it again, but how can i do it will all the sales pitching? can i book ahead for a basic pick up and pay?

Also just for interest, what have your Apple Store experiences been like?

Thanks in advance!

P.S: This is the first time I'm purchasing in a store, I normally order from Apples website, but i need it in a bit of a hurry

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

My advice would be when you walk in just say "I'd like to purchase the ______." Don't be afraid to tell them that: you did your research, you are an experienced Mac user, you don't have all day.

I don't purchase computers at the Apple store, but help has been so-so, but there are always some employees that no vast amounts of information and our true "geeks".

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

That's what I did. I did my research, including in-store checking, then I just went in and said "Do you have the new 24" iMac in stock?" They said "Yes", and I said "Fine I'll take one." It took them longer to get it out of the stockroom than it took me to purchase it.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just walk in and say you want MBP. If you're just looking at Macs or asking something from employers, they usually start that presentation. Remember to give feedback if you weren't happy

5. dvin macrumors member

i too just walked in and asked if they had one in stock. they said yes, i said cool I'll take one.

6. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I scream: "I WANT A MACBOOK PRO !!!"

And everyone will look at me.

7. Qartin macrumors newbie

Just walk in, and if they start pitching to you. Just be like "I already have a Mac. I would like to Purchase a Macbook Pro."

I know I hate it some employees at places dont shut up, and you try to talk and they keep talking.

Its like okay buddy i know more than you... lol

8. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

walk in and look at the employees. Find the one that looks annoyed and avoiding customers. Target that guy, I'm sure he won't give you the mac experience rant.

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

No offense to the OP but all you had to do was say "Ill buy it" problem solved.

What most people who have never worked in electronics retail dont realize is often a sales manager is watching the sales pitches and the employee has to give them if you look like you dont know what your looking for.

10. BayouBengal macrumors regular

I guess I lucked out when I bought my unibody back in Oct. I go in, I get asked if I could be helped, I say "Yes, I'd like to get the new 2.4Ghz MacBook." He says ok let me go to the back and get one. He comes back, asks me the standard do you want a case, AppleCare, iWork, any other accessories, etc... I politely decline. Give him my credit card and university staff ID and was out of there in about 15 minutes. Probably the easiest sale for him all week.

I may have asked him a few question just to make sure I fully understood everything that I had read online. Pretty painless.

11. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

The should have asked you, "have you ever owned a mac before". If you say yes they don't show you the features.

You could have stopped them and said you just want your MBP. :)

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Your experience is not unique to the Apple Store, it will happen in any sales situation unless YOU are assertive enough to interrupt the salesperson's pitch off the bat. Tel them, "Thank you, but I know what I'd like to purchase. Do you have XYZ in stock." If they say "yes", buy and leave. If they say "no", don't accept the sales pitch for an alternative

Your experience was YOUR fault. Speak up an save yourself a lot of time and frustration in the future.

13. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Translation: Grow a pair and tell the sales associate: "Hey, man. I got this."

Jokes, jokes. ;)

14. ThomasW91 macrumors newbie

Haha, I walked in Thursday and a lady walked right up to me. I said, "I'll take 1 15" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro please." She ran to the back with a big smile on her face to get it, haha. Got checked out in minutes with their mobile Symbol scanners, then she helped me start the rebate process online.

The store was busy like usual, but they have so many employees to give you quick help. Tell them what you want and they'll get it done.

Reason #91837491724 why I love Apple. Retail stores.