In-app email in background?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by uaecasher, Jun 15, 2010.

1. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

Hey guys,

I have a question, if I want the user to be able to send emails from my app in background. For example, when user clicks a button, the app will send email to a pre-defined address with pre-defined message (like a score for example)

I know how to do that but the way i do it, a composer window shows up, I dont want that.

Any help would be much appreciated

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The only way to use the users mail account/settings is to use the composer window. Otherwise your app could be sending offensive emails that look like they come from the user without the users express, per-email confirmation (by clicking Send).

If you want to send background emails you have to provide your own mail sending code (SMTP client) and either get the user to provide server details or provide them yourself.

3. uaecasher thread starter macrumors 65816

uaecasher

Thanks for the help, I wasn't actually planning on sending offensive emails just was looking for way to send emails so that user don't have to approve every time they want to send, I'll take a look about the SMTP client option

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Whilst I'm sure you weren't I was trying to let you see why this restriction is in place.

5. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper