In app purchase needs to be revisited by Apple

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by richxps, Aug 13, 2012.

1. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Reason I say this is because almost very new decent game is free but u must pay for energy or other crap. Why can't they just charge a fixed price so you can play the game as you wish such as a Xbox or ps3 game.
    Is this the future of gaming ? I even see this in app purchase system on the Sony vita...
    Sorry just had to vent because it has never been this bad.

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I'm with you, I **DESPISE** in app purchases. Give me the app for a reasonable price and let me have all the features I want. Don't try to hide the App cost by making "in-app" purchases.

I refuse to buy any game I know requires in-app purchases. Period.

If the games were setup so that the first 3 levels were included free; then you got all the rest of the levels for $1.99 or so, I'd be happy, that's fine. No free trial, but first few levels free and if you like it, but the rest of the game. Few games do this though.

But none of this buy 100,000 in game coins for $49.99. If you're doing in game coins / currency, then allow people playing to game to be able to save up realistically . . . not earning 10 coins a week.

3. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

I think in-app purchasing can be used for good or evil. The only example of good that I can think of is to allow try-before-buy functionality. Now, the app store doesn't have to be littered with "Lite" versions of an app.

Apple leaving it up to developers to do the right thing, though, is a cop-out. Apple is more than willing to impose their morality on developers in every other aspect of an app, but somehow they turn a blind eye to charging $99.99 for a wheelbarrow full of coins in an app clearly designed for toddlers. They should at least be consistent.

Regards,
    Tom

4. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

I downloaded Simpson's after about a 2 year hiatus from gaming. I hope this is not the future.

5. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

i agree.

it can be useful under certain circumstances but it can also be abused. just like RMT in PC games nowadays - those which you are always throwing more money into that before used to come at a fixed price - updates included.

now you can buy an app, and then instead of enjoying all the content updates they'll include the in-app purchase feature for you to be able to access them - at an extra price.