Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schenker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Hi, Im working on a lite version of my app. In the lite version, if user decides make an in-app purchase to get the full app, how do i allow them to download the full app?

I have thought of two ways to deliver the full app:

1. Convert the lite version to full version, but then i will be stuck with game icon that says "lite version". It wouldnt make sense to have that on a full app.

2. Download the full app. But how do i go about? I have already followed some good tutorials from Ray Wenderlich, but the tutorial discussed only abt unlocking contents via iap.

Pls let me have your views. Thanks.

jiminaus

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Sydney
In-app purchase is not the way to do this. The way to upgrade is to purchase the full version from the app store.

schenker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Hi, In other words i cant link the download from my lite version to the full product via iap? Correct me if im wrong, isnt that how games like fruit ninja does it?

In-app purchase is not the way to do this. The way to upgrade is to purchase the full version from the app store.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Hi, In other words i cant link the download from my lite version to the full product via iap? Correct me if im wrong, isnt that how games like fruit ninja does it?

IDK about Fruit Ninja, but it'd be pretty easy to do it like this:

1.) Create and release the full version of your app on the iOS app store.

2.) Create a lite version of your app, make a button for the user to upgrade to the full version, and when they tap it, have it open your full application in the iOS app store.

If you insist on using IAP (it's a world of frustration and I suggest not doing it this way,) then the way to do it is to upload the full version of your application, but make it so that portions of the app are locked (so they can only access the features of the "lite" version,) until the user gets the IAP to unlock the full version.

schenker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Oh my....!!!! Just realised i have understood it all wrongly. I need not have used IAP in the first place! Well at least i learnt many new things today. Thank you so much for all your advice. Really Appreciate it. :)

2.) Create a lite version of your app, make a button for the user to upgrade to the full version, and when they tap it, have it open your full application in the iOS app store.

If you insist on using IAP (it's a world of frustration and I suggest not doing it this way,) then the way to do it is to upload the full version of your application, but make it so that portions of the app are locked (so they can only access the features of the "lite" version,) until the user gets the IAP to unlock the full version.

thedollarhunter

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
UK
Bingo! More zen from ArtOfWarfare, been reading up on IAP for the same reason but this solution is so simple. Thanks again ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.