In-App SMS in OS 4.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carebearsx3, Jun 1, 2010.

1. carebearsx3 macrumors regular

Reading the forums today, I came across this:

No one answered this (much to my dismay) but I went looking for what this guy was talking about... He wasn't wrong..

[​IMG]

How did no one notice this?

2. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

Its an API that the developer has to put in. It isnt actually anything useful. Its to send an SMS to someone with in the App, not to reply to SMS's in any app. I know sucks.

3. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

But if it's like the in-app email is right now, and you get a txt you want to reply to, you can do this:
    -Click close on the txt you've just received
    -Open the in-app txt
    -Erase the info that is auto-filled in the txt and put in your own message with the person you want to reply to as the recipient
    -Send txt, go back to where you left off while remaining in the app

Of course, with a 3GS or 4th gen, it won't matter nearly as much as people with a 3G, as they can just go back to where they left off in the app after leaving to reply to a txt.

4. JDee macrumors 6502a

That guy who you quoted is wrong, and you're also wrong.

Most of us who watched/read the live blogs of the iPhone OS 4 preview knew that there would be an API for 'in app SMS'. No big news.

Do not be mistaken. 'In app SMS' which was previewed is an API, not an actual feature. This means that developers can implement an in app sms feature into their app.

Edit: Apologies - had this thread open for a while and never realized there were more posts.

5. carebearsx3 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow... that got me all excited too :mad:
    And by SJ's arm, It says "call every notification." Does that mean there might be a notification bar, or another API that allows you to see all notifications from that specific app? Even if it's the latter, they should have a unified place for it. :cool:

I suppose that fixes it...