in app SMS with 4.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FortWorthMac, May 19, 2010.

1. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Hello all,

Did I read or I'm I dreaming that Apple said that 4.0 will include in app messaging.

Is this going to be for SMS. My phone is jail broken and I must have app I use is QuickReply which allows one to reply to SMS messages without having to exit ANY running app. It's the bees-knees!!

2. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

3. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I guess I didn't really think this would be tied into multitasking. But I'm probably wrong. Anything will be better then what is standard now.

4. JDee macrumors 6502a

It isn't going to be a new feature. It's an API which developers can use so that they can implement that certain apps are able to send messages from that app... an example;

that camera app where it uses your camera while your type so you won't bump into anyone will be even more useful as it will be able to implement in app messaging.

5. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

So thats how it works??? hmmmmm, I still say quick reply is the way to go, it's my fav Cydia app by far

6. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

i use BiteSMS and it was 90% of the reason i decided to jailbreak. i could probably get rid of most of the stuff i've got through cydia and keep that + backgrounder and be happy.

after i JB'd i was a little sad thinking that i'm gonna have to wait longer to update to 4.0 but seeing as most of what's coming is already done in a roundabout way through cydia i'm actually not that fussed about it anymore, plus it's fun to be able to say "oh you're excited about that new 4.0 feature? yeah i've already got that" :p

7. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Well TECHNINCALLY if you have to double tap home, then go to sms.app, its not "IN APP sms." They need something like bitesms.

8. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Same here. I'm not going "straight" til I can get the same function as irealsms or the like :)

9. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Texas what what!!

Yeah, Im pretty sure it just allows apps to compose an sms for you much like many apps now do with email.

this is going to make dragon dictation MUCH more useful.

10. psywzrd macrumors 68030

The quick reply feature is huge to me as well - big enough where I would probably want to jailbreak just for that feature alone. This is something that Apple can and should implement is OS4 but who knows if they will?

11. JDee macrumors 6502a

What's the big deal with double tapping the home button, clicking SMS and using everything as once? Then when you're finished go back exactly to the same spot you were at in your previous app.

12. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Because its easier to use quick reply so you never have to leave the app your in and open sms.

13. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

In-app SMS is only for sending messages, nothing else. It's the same thing as the in-app email that was introduced in 3.0.

14. psywzrd macrumors 68030

This is exactly right. Until you've used one of the quick reply apps and realize how much better it is than what Apple gives us, you have no idea what you're missing.