Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roeik

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to implement an in-app purchase subscription without a server.

I have a business app, and I know that users will be willing to pay a subscription fee. All I want to do is open additional features in the app, but I do not need to deliver content from my own servers, so I was wondering if it is possible to just skip the server stages.

In other words, is it possible programmatically? and second, will apple approves the app.

Thank you,

Roei

roeik

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
well, the features are basically extra statistics, that should be displayed every time the user uses the app. So I guess that will be Nonconsumable. Right?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
well, the features are basically extra statistics, that should be displayed every time the user uses the app. So I guess that will be Nonconsumable. Right?
Yes. Therefore, no server needed. Make sure you have read through the In App Purchase Programming Guide.

jpalten

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2010
App rejected if you don't use a server?

Yes. Therefore, no server needed. Make sure you have read through the In App Purchase Programming Guide.

I think you'll need a server because "Content subscriptions using IAP must last a minimum of 30 days and be available to the user from all of their iOS devices".

Apple doesn't help you to keep track of subscriptions, you'll have to do this yourself.
So you'll need a way to keep track of a user across all their iOS devices. My App just got rejected because I didn't implement this.
I can't think of a way to do this without a server, can you?

Open to suggestions...

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I think you'll need a server because "Content subscriptions using IAP must last a minimum of 30 days and be available to the user from all of their iOS devices".

Apple doesn't help you to keep track of subscriptions, you'll have to do this yourself.
So you'll need a way to keep track of a user across all their iOS devices. My App just got rejected because I didn't implement this.
I can't think of a way to do this without a server, can you?
Subscriptions are a third type of product and do require a server, as stated in the In App Purchase Programming Guide:
In App Purchase expects subscriptions to be delivered through an external server that you provide. You must provide the infrastructure to deliver subscriptions to multiple devices.
These are different from nonconsumables, for which my original answer still stands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.