In App subscription without a server

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by roeik, Oct 20, 2010.

1. roeik macrumors member

Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to implement an in-app purchase subscription without a server.

I have a business app, and I know that users will be willing to pay a subscription fee. All I want to do is open additional features in the app, but I do not need to deliver content from my own servers, so I was wondering if it is possible to just skip the server stages.

In other words, is it possible programmatically? and second, will apple approves the app.

Thank you,

Roei

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Are these additional features consumable or non-consumable?

3. roeik thread starter macrumors member

well, the features are basically extra statistics, that should be displayed every time the user uses the app. So I guess that will be Nonconsumable. Right?

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Yes. Therefore, no server needed. Make sure you have read through the In App Purchase Programming Guide.

5. jpalten macrumors newbie

App rejected if you don't use a server?

I think you'll need a server because "Content subscriptions using IAP must last a minimum of 30 days and be available to the user from all of their iOS devices".

Apple doesn't help you to keep track of subscriptions, you'll have to do this yourself.
    So you'll need a way to keep track of a user across all their iOS devices. My App just got rejected because I didn't implement this.
    I can't think of a way to do this without a server, can you?

Open to suggestions...

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Subscriptions are a third type of product and do require a server, as stated in the In App Purchase Programming Guide:
    These are different from nonconsumables, for which my original answer still stands.