In BIG TROUBLE WITH MH G4 MDD

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
I think the following pictures will be best for anyone knowing how to reply.

I have used my G4 a long time, mostly for my Adobe Premiere program. I wanted to enlarge space by putting in a 1.0TB WD = SATA/ 64MB Cache, WD1003FZEX, (new).

I have worked under the G4 hood for years, but this one time I really stumped.
The pictures are the only thing that show up on the monitor. They don't go away until I pull the plug.
Patt
G4 .png
G4 +.png

[doublepost=1549668693][/doublepost]BTW, OS IS TIGER

Last edited by a moderator:

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
What are you using to connect the new WD SATA drive to your G4?
SATA to IDE convertor?
PCI card with SATA ports?
Something else?

Reactions: Traace

gsahli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago
Patt,
You've really got to give us more info, about what you did, do you want to boot from the drive, have you formatted the drive, have you reset PRAM, etc, etc. Do you have your Tiger CD available?

Traace

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2018
Germany
0x300 - Data access

Maybe that MDD doesn't like that SATA HDD, try another IDE drive.

If a known working IDE drive leads to the same crash, next I would check is RAM.

Reactions: z970mp and AphoticD

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
DeltaMac
What are you using to connect the new WD SATA drive to your G4?

Nothing at the current time. What I was trying to use before I screwd it up, you can see in the pictures.

SATA to IDE convertor? The Hard Drives on the left, including the new HD, are SATA

PCI card with SATA ports?
I see SATA on anything that I have purchased in the past 14 years, unless I am

I have been using SATA a LONG time. If you tell me where you want me to fockos my attention, I will try my best to give you a proper answer.

Something else?

gsahli

Don't I know, but it's my lack of knowledge that I am lacking that get's me confused and I would hate to mix up anyone that is trying to help.

Thank you very much for reading my dilemma. I have pictures of all the CDs.

It has been a long time since I even heard the word, PRAM, so the answer is no I have not.

I hope this works.

Attachments

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The picture (01.5) that you posted shows that you have one hard drive (under the optical drives in the front drive carrier) that has an SATA cable that plugs in to a PCI card. It's the red cable that you see snaking around from the drive to the card :cool:
If that PCI card is something that you added years ago, then it's very possible that your new WD SATA drive has some kind of compatibility issue. (The card with SATA ports would not have come from Apple, even as a custom build).
I think it might be possible that there is a firmware update for that card, which might then support the WD drive. You could check at the website for the manufacturer of that card. They may have a support page with downloads.

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
0x300 - Data access

Maybe that MDD doesn't like that SATA HDD, try another IDE drive.
If a known working IDE drive leads to the same crash, next I would check is RAM.

SATA works pretty good, looking at each Hard Drive. Thanks for your thoughts.
[doublepost=1549745173][/doublepost]
The picture (01.5) that you posted shows that you have one hard drive (under the optical drives in the front drive carrier) that has an SATA cable that plugs in to a PCI card. It's the red cable that you see snaking around from the drive to the card :cool:
If that PCI card is something that you added years ago, then it's very possible that your new WD SATA drive has some kind of compatibility issue. (The card with SATA ports would not have come from Apple, even as a custom build).
I think it might be possible that there is a firmware update for that card, which might then support the WD drive. You could check at the website for the manufacturer of that card. They may have a support page with downloads.
I am so sorry, DeltaMac, I should have said that the two picture of a G4 are not mine personally, but just the type of G4 I own (copper). The other pictures are MY own. So sorry to have left that out.

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
You know, I don’t thing I have a HD problem, though I sure don’t know what might be the problem.

Two days ago I put one HD in the G4, which I have been using for a long time, and it worked fine up until NOW (before I tried to add a new HD). The G4 with the old Hard Drives comes alive just as it always did with a BIG BONG, but all I see is what you see at the top of this MacRumors page. I will keep looking at this link. Thanks for trying, but this one is a real dilly.

Thanks for bring my missed writing to my attention.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, your SATA hard drive has to be connected somehow, and the MDD G4 does not provide that connection. You have to connect that to some device, either a PCI card, or an SATA to ATA convertor.
The SATA drive problem would not be caused by a master/slave issue (SATA, per se, doesn't use that tech), although the SATA to ATA adapter might be the culprit.
@ Patth9: you need to tell us how you have that WD 1TB SATA hard drive attached to the G4. There's several different possibilities.
BTW, your post #9 appears to missing some text (after the "worked fine up until. (Up until what?)

Reactions: Traace and z970mp

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
The WD 1TB SATA hard drive is attached to the G4 (see picture). I thought I had included that picture along with the other pictures. MY BAD
You are correct, the SATA HD doesn’t use that tech.
I Fixed my #9
08. G4.png
:confused::rolleyes:

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I see only loose cables in your picture, but not how your SATA hard drive is connected... (Where does the long, red cable attach inside your G4? I asking about the OTHER end of the cable, not the hard drive end. If it plugs in to a PCI card like the picture that you posted, who makes that card? Even a picture of the card, showing data that might identify that card could help
And, just to make it more clear to me: When you remove the new SATA hard drive, does your G4 boot without problems to the old hard drive?
Finally, is the OLD hard drive also SATA, or has it been an IDE drive (with the wide ribbon cable (which is usually grey in color) ??

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
DeltaMac

THANKS FOR HELPING ME HELP YOU. It never occurred to me that perhaps this G4 MDD was not your cup of tea. :)confused: ) = Me.

And, just to make it more clear to me: When you remove the new SATA hard drive, does your G4 boot without problems to the old hard drive?

I don't think it ever had a chance to BOOT. The reason why is that I didn't remember how to install using the "CD by holding down the "C" key." method.

I am happy to follow any instructions you need. I'm slow but very determined. I tried to keep the picture using the ABC but guess there is a trick.

I will check my MacRumors often.
Thanks again.
Trish

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Traace

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Well, I guess I am stumped. Anyone know where I can but a healthy

upload_2019-2-15_19-34-58.png
? Thanks to all for your input.

Last edited:

gsahli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago
So, do I understand that you bought the SATA drive and the SATA PCI card adapter at the same time and put them in the G4 and then tried to format and install OS X on it?
Did anyone advise you to download and install a driver? Looks like it's chipset VT6421? There isn't a driver for PPC Macs. (I have a VT6421, and it works great under linux, but not MacOS X.)

Last edited:

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
gsahli
So, do I understand that you bought the SATA drive and the SATA PCI card adapter at the same time and put them in the G4 and then tried to format and install OS X on it?

PATT YES - Don't think I had to format. Please keep reading.

Hello,
I have been using SATA for a long while, a VERY LONG WHILE. It was only recently when I tried to include a new a HARD DRIVE
WD 1.0TB SATA / 64MB Cache WD1003FZEX.

How ever I have been using The ATA/133 (see Above pictures). There was only one place to plug into the ATA/133 which was okay for a long, long time i.e. was running out of space in in the other hard drives.

One would think if I put away the WD 1.0TB SATA Hard drive, and put all the other parts back were they belong, all would be working. However, what I get is what you see at the very top of this cry for help.

Possibly, could it be that the old The ATA/133 is not working.

I ordered a new one 2 years ago, but had never tried until a few weeks a go, only to learn that they sent the wrong size.

gsahli Did anyone advise you to download and install a driver? Looks like it's chipset VT6421? There isn't a driver for PPC Macs. (I have a VT6421, and it works great under linux, but not MacOS X.)

I have has been using for years, the G4 MDD, with the help of ATA/133.
I looked up PPC Macs. Here is what I learned.

PPC Macs refers to the generation of Macintosh computers created in the mid to late 1990s through to 2006 that used PowerPC RISC based chips made by IBM or Motorola. That last PowerPC based Macintosh, the PowerMac G5 stopped being sold in August 2006.Aug 18, 2010
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/1/what-is-the-difference-between-intel-and-ppc

You are correct, gsajli The TEMPO SATA E41, Serial ATA Host Controller for PCI Express doesn't work.

Thanks for asking, I appreciate it very much, hope I didn't confuse you.

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
What you are referring to as "the ATA/133" is what appears to be a combination IDE / SATA card. The "ATA/133" you're referencing is a connector on that card and not the card itself. This card appears to provide an IDE port (what is labeled "ATA/133"), two internal SATA ports, and one external SATA port. The new hard drive will connect to one of the internal SATA ports (it appears you have it connected to port B).

It would be extremely helpful if you could provide the manufacturer / make / model number of this card. Unfortunately the pic of the rear of the card doesn't provide a model number and the resolution of the front of the card is insufficient to see this information. In addition what is the manufacturer make / model number of the hard drive this new drive is replacing?

Reactions: z970mp

gsahli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago
Patt, Your G4 can't work with PCI express cards. I think you have a PCI card based on the VIA vt6421 chip. There isn't a driver for Mac OS X, or OS X powerPC either. I have never tried to use the ATA/133 port on the VT6421 card, so I don't know if that works. But that isn't SATA.
You should explore an IDE to SATA adapter like this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pata-IDE-To-Serial-ATA-Sata-Hard-Drive-Adapter-Converter-for-3-5-HDD-DVD-TT/271379374000?epid=1539580816&hash=item3f2f789fb0:g:32cAAOSwlf5ZxGdi:rk:9:pf:0
or this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Port-SATA-PCI-Card-for-Apple-Macintosh-Mac-OS-PowerMac-G4-SSD/132581321334?hash=item1ede766a76:g:uhEAAOSwef9a0SBX:sc:USPSFirstClass!60625!US!-1:rk:10:pf:0

Last edited:
Reactions: z970mp