in bootcamp memory missing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Boemer, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Boemer macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm using BootCamp and VMWare for running my old programs.

When I'm starting a bootcamp partition within VMWare, it works fine, I get to use maximum of 3GB (allowed by VMWare) for Windows XP. I have more memory installed, but 3 GB is the maximum that 32bits windows XP can use i guess (which is okay).

Now the problem: when I'm rebooting my mac and starting the Bootcamp windows partition directly, I only get to see 2GB installed, even less it shows me onyl 1.99GB. Where is the rest ? or at least where is that other 1GB?

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Windows XP can handle 4 gigs, but you won't see that. It will only show you 2 gigs the rest is just hanging out there for the bootini to use and some other back ground stuff. Your programs don't get to use the extra memory.

Found this on another forum:

In short:
    - Windows XP Pro 32bit can handle up to 4GB of RAM.
    - A program running in Windows XP Pro 32bit can access up to 2GB of RAM.
    - A program running in Windows XP Pro 32bit with the /3GB switch in boot.ini can access up to 3GB of RAM.

Peace:cool:

3. Boemer thread starter macrumors newbie

it doesn't seem to do anything, under bootcamp it still shows only 1.99 GB...

But the description tells that it lets you use 3 GB for your applications and 1 GB for the kernel... That would be nice....

4. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

it would be, but don't know. Just installed boot camp and under the system properties I am seeing 2.98gigs of installed ram. So i am apparently getting to use all 3 gigs of my ram.

So not really sure what's up.

Peace:cool:

5. Boemer thread starter macrumors newbie

Strange.... Only two options left:

1) bootcamp doesn't like me...

or

2) I got too much memory and he got confused...

too bad...

6. siorai macrumors 6502

From what I've seen and read, Windows doesn't seem to report the amount of available RAM the same for every system. I used to have 3GB in my pc before I got my Mac Pro. It always registered 2.75GB of RAM. Whereas other people with 3GB might see 2.98GB or even just 2GB. Go Windows! :p

7. Cryptic1911 macrumors member

you need to add the /PAE flag in your c:\boot.ini file

google physical address extension and it will explain what it is and where to add it. It will get you probably ~3 / 3.2gb of ram, the rest is used up by system / and pci-e memory addresses

edit:

actually I looked it up for you. You have XP, so it wont look exactly like this, but here's an example of what to do:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)
    \WINNT="Windows ???? Datacenter Server" /PAE

and here's microsoft's link about it:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEdrv.mspx