In-Bound link problems with I W

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by JohnV, Dec 5, 2008.

1. JohnV macrumors newbie

I have built a web site for our company using I Web. Which means I have no knowledge of HTML. I published to a folder then I "put" it to my existing url that is hosted by Host Labs using an FTP client called Fetch. When I check my site using a web site grader from Hub Spot I get the following message.

"Permanent Redirect Not Found Search engines may think www.orindamotors.com and orindamotors.com are two different sites.You should set up a permanent redirect (technically called a "301 redirect") between these sites. Once you do that, you will get full search engine credit for your work on these sites."

"For example, www.orindamotors.com seems to have 55 inbound links whereas orindamotors.com has 143 inbound links. By correctly configuring a permanent 301 redirect, the search rankings might improve as all inbound links are correctly counted for the website."

My guy from Host Labs tried the re-direct but said that is not what I need. He has no experience with I Web. I know this is hurting my SEO.

Any ideas?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well, first, it's iWeb, not I Web. Secondly, this isn't an iWeb issue really, it's a hosting issue.

Having the www and non-www version of the url point the same way can be handled with the cname (done through your host) or can be done on Apache web servers using the .htacces file. Though, just checked out Host Labs site and it looks like they use Windows servers so the .htaccess option is not an option. The web site didn't have any details concerning how to change the cname that I could find.

Do you know what "you're guy from Host Labs" did for trying a redirect?

You can look at this page and search for "Non-WWW to WWW Redirect" It's a heading and explains one way to do a redirect, which may be the way the guy tried. I don't use IIS (windows web server) anymore and don't care for it. You can check with the web host to see if they have ISAPI installed, which allows for Apache like redirects.