In-box emptied - help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mac-5, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Mac-5 macrumors newbie

I was configuring Mac Mail v-4.4 with my new provider - Primus.ca.
    We created a new account and when I went back to do a test, all my messages were gone from the in-box. Sent messages are gone as well.

I have some files as well and they are fine.

I'd really like to get them back but have no idea where to look or how I managed to do this.

Thanks - Ken

2. nelz886 macrumors member

nelz886

So you initially had another account setup? Perhaps you removed it by accident? Go to Mail > Preferences > Accounts; how many accounts do you see?

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

If all your messages were for an account with your previous provider, and you deleted that account then all those messages will be deleted as well. There is a warning that appears, when you delete an account, to that effect.

4. Mac-5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both...
    I only show one account and we did create a new one. It looks like they were deleted. Damn... I don't recall a warning when I clicked the "-"
    That being said - are they recoverable in any way? Not in trash but would they be elsewhere?

Thanks again

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

If you've got a backup (done with Time Machine or other software) you should be able to recover it from that. Also, if you still have access to the old account and were one to also keep the messages on the server, you could recreate the account in Mail and the messages would be downloaded again. Other than that you're probably out of luck.