In-camera GPS?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by can.rules, Apr 23, 2012.

1. can.rules macrumors member

I'm thinking of getting a new body, and I've narrowed it down to either the Sony a65 or the new Sony a57 (invested on some sony glass, so want to stick with them).

I really like the a57, and it would be a no-brainer except that it has no GPS. I don't have GPS on my current camera (a300) but it sounds like a great feature. The question is: to those that currently have in-camera GPS, do you find that it works well and do you consider it to be a must-have feature? I'm worried about getting the a65 and then finding that the GPS takes forever to lock or that is not so useful in a way I don't realize yet. I do a little bit of travelling so if it works well I think automatically tagging locations would be very nice.

Any other opinions on these bodies would be nice. I realize the a57 has an edge on low-light performance, but they're both probably much better than my current camera anyway. I'm mainly thinking of the a57 to save a couple hundred bucks.

Thanks for any feedback!

2. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Not sure if this is what you want, but you can use your smartphone and do GPS tracking and then pair the photos with the GPX file recorded on your phone. I use my iPhone with GPS Stone.

3. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I have an a55v (which has GPS) and it is great if you like to make sure your photos are geotagged. It is much simpler than tagging after the fact, especially when you go to places where you don't quite remember exactly where you were.

Does Sony do an A57 with GPS? When I got my A55, the v was literally the only one I could get...

4. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

You will most likely see GPS in none pro bodies as for the most part it would be a waste. While some people like the idea of having an integrated GPS, external solutions might be the way to go for some time. Check out: www.solmeta.com. Probably the best GPS for a camera on the market.

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

for nikon

6. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Is that a question or a statement?

7. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

8. muff macrumors member

I really enjoy having build-in gps on my a77. Before I had the a55 (with gps), and I'm not sure I would have upgraded if the a77 didn't have build-in gps. I travel a lot, so it's very convenient to have gps data on my pictures, as it makes it a whole lot easier to arrange them on my computer. The gps-signal is very snappy outdoors, while it tend to hunt a bit when you are inside (but that's the case with every gps).