In car GPS with iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pointer, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Pointer macrumors regular

Hi guys,

Like most of us I am happy with Apples announcement yesterday, especially with GPS being included. My thoughts now turn to using the iPhone as an in car GPS ala TomTom. For this to work the iPhone obviously needs to have the turn by turn directions via speech so I am not having to look at the iPhone every two seconds.

What are the chances that this will be the case out of the box? It seems like quite a big project for Apple to pull off but maybe they have colloborated with Google? Maybe something like this will appear on the app store? Seems a bit pointless to have GPS if it can't be used for the thing that most people use GPS for so hopefully there will be some sort of solution.

2. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

TomTom have released that they have their software working on the new iPhone so hopefully soon well be able to use the new iPhone 3G in our cars :)

But as of now there is no turn for turn in the google maps GPS!

3. mtfield macrumors 6502

I really think that apple is going to stay away from the navigation programs. There are already some really big names in that field that make great navigation systems. So I think that apple in this case is just providing the hardware and letting tomtom and telenav etc. have their way with it from the app store. So probably not right out of the box, but defiantly soon after if not on the launch date since it seems tomtom is pretty much ready to roll with theirs.. but as far as apple goes I think the google integration that just shows and traces your location is as far as they will venture, and then just sit back and admire the cool apps other people make for it. Because at the end of the day good apps promote the iphone regardless of who makes them.. so apple will let the other companies do what they do best

4. guru_ck macrumors 6502

TeleNav is working on a solution for the iPhone. Hopefully we will be able to push it out within the next few months. The toughest part is getting accepted into Apple's developer program but have faith, it'll happen sooner than later!

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

One big thing the iPhone GPS is not likely to do is direction heading up (top). It will continue to be north up (top) which is hard to use while driving.

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

you can set up a route using directions and just drive along it, with the gps updating as you drive
    however, it wont tell you when to turn or how (as in junction on a roundabout (do you have roundabouts in the US?)) you just have to watch the screen

but with Tomtom, it should be different

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The problem for me with this is that the iPhone won't be able to be both my GPS and connected to my Sony head unit at the same time. When I connect my current iPhone to it (using the dock connector) I can't then access the menus on the phone without the music cutting out.

8. CKtoph macrumors 6502

This is also my concern. If I wanted to read turn-by-turn instructions on the iPhone's screen, then honestly, the addition of GPS doesn't really do anything for me. The whole point (personally at least) for having a phone with the GPS is to allow me to have turn-by-turn instructions as I drive. I've been in the market for a GPS nav system, so I'm hoping that some good applications will arrive allowing for it.

Also, here's hoping for a good/better built in speaker on the phone to allow us to actually hear those instructions :p

9. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

why cant you just use you car stereo, if your using you iphone in your car id assume youd be using it for music too?

10. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Yeah, the phone is connected directly to the stereo using the dock connector. This gives the stereo control over the iPhone, but I think it cuts out when you enter the menus or try to do something with it docked. It's normally in the glovebox so I haven't tested this extensively, maybe I am wrong.

11. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

If you have a car GPS you should know that the GPS function on the iphone is nothing like it. The car GPS shows you traveling along the route and the upcoming roads while you are driving 55mph. The iphone shows your location on Google Maps from a top down perspective.

Dont expect to get rid of your Garmin/Tom Tom for the iphone GPS, unless you dont want to have turn by turn navigation.

12. operator207 macrumors 6502

Yes we do, though no where near as frequently as you do in the UK.

There is one in Addison, Texas. I have purposely gotten stuck on it to reenact the National Lampoon's European Vacation scene. (Clark drives his family endlessly round the busy Lambeth Bridge roundabout for hours, unable to maneuver his way out of traffic, mentioning the Big Ben clock and Parliament with each pass.)

My wife was not impressed. Though the kids thought it was hilarious. Even if they didn't know what a roundabout was, or what NLEV was, or the Griswald's were. They thought Daddy was just being funny.

Back on topic though. If Telenav gets a product as good or better than their BB program, I will buy it/subscribe to it. Just get some better colors. The blue you use for route traveled is the same blue as a body of water or river. We have quite a few streams here, at my work, when I set it up to go home (I know how to go home, I use it for traffic updates) the route traveled looks like I got drunk randomly, and drove off the road.

13. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Ithink either you or i are REALLY confused. As of now, YES you can not get turn by turn directions.. HOWEVER when the new iphone comes out, i BELIVE it is going to have true GPS features like turn by turn directions. Even though that is all fine and dandy, and it will work well as a GPS in that case, it seems like you loose the functionality of the actual PHONE and IPOD when you use the GPS. Just think, if you are relying on your iphone to get you somewhere and you NEED to listen to the turn by turn directions and all of a sudden, a call comes in you now HAVE to make a choice. Stop driving and answer, or ignore your call.

OR, you when you set out on your trip you will have to make a choice. Use your iphone for listening to music in your car, or listen to the turn by turn directions. You can NOT use all three at the same time, and HONESTLY, i like that option. I LIKE to be listening to my music while my GPS tells me where to do, and have the ability to answer a call when needed. Having GPS in the iphone will limit this GREATLY

THAT is why i feel like using GPS in an iphone specifically is USELESS.. i feel there was MUCH MUCH more important things that COULD have been added to the iphone as far as hardware goes that would make it MORE usefull, not less.

14. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
  15. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

Not for the built in gmaps, but probably for the add-on software like tom tom or telenav.

Personally, I think voice turn-by-turn navigation support will become available through gmaps as a surprise for the iphone, much like the youtube app from the 1st gen iphone. ;) What do you guys think, is that such a far off idea?

16. CKtoph macrumors 6502

Ok, haha... calm down buddy.

It wasn't clear whether or not we'd be able to use the GPS function while at the same time being able to answer a phone call and/or listen to music...only time and experience will tell (don't you wish that Jobs would have a Q&A session after his keynotes? :p ). I would imagine that would depend upon the functionality of the navigation app such as the one TomTom has apparently made for the iPhone. Some kind of option allowing you to answer your phone while using the GPS turn-by-turn navigation. Also, perhaps an option letting you listen to music in the background with a preference menu allowing for you to adjust the background music volume and call volumes.

17. vega07 macrumors 65816

I really think Apple should develop its own application for turn-by-turn voice directions with street names. I don't like the thought of buying the hardware and paying an additional 40 bucks for the software. If there is a mandatory two-year contract, then we're already paying much more for the data plan.

And believe me, I really don't think the TomTom app will be 9.99 like the other apps demoed. It will be more expensive.

I really hope Apple does something...even though it might not be as great as TomTom's product.

18. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Looks like Tom Tom does this for the iPhone as well:

[​IMG]

19. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

even if they did figure out how to work all three of those things in together, how would that sound?

If you have your FM transmitter in transmitting music, then your turn by turn directions are going to come out of our car speakers too, so listening to both simultaiously would just be difficult in general, THEN, if you get a call in, and you the ringer also comes through the speakers, shutting off the music, but not the turn by turn directions, that MIGHT be ok because the ringer only lasts a minute. But what about when the call comes up on the screen, for that split second, you will not be able to see your map and could really throw you off. Then you have the voice of the person calling you either coming through the speaker of the iphone, your car speakers, or your bluetooth, but if it is coming through the bluetooth... I just seems TOO cluttered and combined to REALLY be usefull. I'm sure its great for on foot if you are a jogger or like to hike trails, but otherwise.. as a replacement for an actual GPS< i would pay the $150 for a regular GPS unit happily... especially since MOST people who are in the income bracket to afford an iphone and it's plan are also the same people who already have a GPS unit from a few years ago.

I know a LOT of people are all excited about the GPS function, but i woul dlike to see 6 months from now, how many of them are using it OVER a regular GPS system. It seems like that is going to dwindle over time.

20. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I hear ya. I took a free trial of the AT&T Navigator and the turn by turn was dead on until I got a call. I knew where I was headed already and just wanted to test it out. I would love to see how they integrate the services though.

21. Applemoes macrumors newbie

22. nutmac macrumors 68040

1. Run GPS app (Maps or upcoming navigation app from Tom Tom, etc.). Set driving directions.
    2. Drive.
    3. Phone call comes in. Use your Bluetooth or earphone to answer phone call. Switchback to the GPS app.
    1. Run GPS app (Maps or upcoming navigation app from Tom Tom, etc.). Set driving directions.
    2. Drive.
    3. Run iTunes, play your favorite music or playlist. Switch back to GPS app.

The main problem, other than lack of turn-by-turn directions with audio feedback on included Maps application, is data dependency. While 3G will allow simultaneous data + voice calls, in most cases, 2.5G won't (when you are in non-3G area). Worse, if you happen to be driving on area without any data service, iPhone's Maps application will not be able to retrieve map data.

23. markym07931 macrumors regular

but, the iphone won't let anything run in the background, so when you hit home, and go to ipod, it'll have lost everything about your gps route you've just planned...

maybe?!

24. njchris macrumors regular

njchris

Why couldn't they save your route when you create it? So when you go back it just recalculates from your current position. Not too hard.

Just because hitting home closes the program doesn't mean it doesn't save data before that happens.

25. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

GPS directions don't come every second. Think of it like when you're receiving SMS messages. You'll be listening to your music "And you come to me on the summer breeze. Keep me w...Turn left in three hundred yards onto Infinity Loop (arm in your love then you softly leave, and it's me you need to show)...is your love. How deep is your love..."

It's annoying, but that's one alternative to having both at the same volume (actually, my current GPS can do directions and music...the volume is dependant on what you set [with the max music volume being considerably lower than the max GPS...but it's different here, cause the iPhone's max music volume can go to ear splitting]...so maybe you can set the volume of the directions to be louder than the music and turn the music down a little instead of blasting heavy metal while trying to use the GPS)

Yeah, well, currently it's the same for Google Maps. The call screen comes up.

My suggestion is that if you're really dependant and it's really that tight, then get a separate device. Otherwise, it works for those who aren't turning every two hundred yards.

Apps can modify their directory. Simply save the route. Then when you go back, it finds your position again and recalculates the route.