In Car Ipod/Iphone connector problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Cap41, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Cap41 macrumors 6502

I have new Dodge Journey. It has the in glove box connector to allow you to play and charge your ipod through the stereo. As with some connectors it get an error message on my Iphone. It still works to play the audio, but it wont charge. I have seen this before with some external battery chargers.

Is the a Iphone to Ipod connector so this will charge my phone as well?

2. Mr Kram macrumors 68020

Mr Kram

3. Cap41 thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought the question mark gave it away :)

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68020

Mr Kram

5. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

It sounds like you have a newer iphone and the car came with the old firewire connetor, or vice versa. I have a similar issue in my car with aftermarket stereo (it came with the old firewire pin configuration, while I had an iphone 3G at the time I got it). Scosche makes a device called the PASSport that connects to the ipod/iphone connector and allows USB charging, and still allows you to play music etc.

They're available on amazon for around 18 bucks, or ebay for a couple bucks less.

6. Cap41 thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you still need that adapter with the Iphone 4?

7. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

If the car bit is the old pin style (firewire) then yes, otherwise you can play music but cannot charge.

My passPORT just died on me after about 2 years of use. It now generates a whistling sound when playing music, and after a few flicks looses the ability to fast forward/rewind tracks. Just bought another one off ebay.

Easiest way to test your car to see what's in there (doubtful the dealer will know) would be to find a first gen iphone or old school ipod (the old white ones with the click wheel). If that charges from the connector, then the scoche will fix you up.

On the other hand, you could just give it a whirl. Around 14 bucks buy it now on ebay, so it's not a huge loss if it's not the fix you need - did the trick for me (the guys who installed my radio didn't even know about it...was sort of proud of myself for finding it) :)