In car Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mackin Teke, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Mackin Teke macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about installing a Mac Mini into my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lmtd and was needing some assistance. I found a helpful article on the overall installation but I would like to integrate this mac into an existing touch screen In-dash DVD player I own. The DVD player has an AUX out on it so connecting the mac won't be an issue. What I would like to do though is be able to run iTunes/Front Row/DVD player from the mac itself, with maintaining the overall iPod/DVD player/FM radio (I know it sounds stupid to have both a Mac and an iPod connected to a DVD player but its a project I'd like to try. My question is... is it as simple as plug and play with a Macintosh into a touch screen monitor? I'm assuming not (or more people would have done this by now) and if not then what it would take for me to go ahead and do this. I'm assuming I'll need drivers and a special cord for connecting it to the player but it may be able to be done. If anyone has any ideas or has actually done this, please let me know. :apple:

2. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

I think it is pretty easy actually, you may need drivers to make it work but they connect via USB usually. I was looking for one of those film covers you put onto an LCD which worked fine with a mac.

Good luck with the project, I hope to do something similar one day but my dash isn't easily removable :(

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

It's not quite as simple.

You'll need to get power for it. You might also want to replace the Mini's HDD with a solid state drive. The vibrations would kill the mini's HDD very quickly, but a solid state drive should be able to handle it fine...

4. bartelby macrumors Core

I agree about the SSD, but it's worth noting that there have been many computers with normal drives installed in cars, plus there were HD based MP3 headunits.

5. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

what cute car do you drive?

6. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

7. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

If you get this going I'd love to see some pictures of it in action :D