In Car Navigation System Advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by poppe, Dec 26, 2007.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I just got a Mio 320 for Christmas.

I am thinking about exchanging it for a different one though because it isn't OS X compatible (so I can't load new POIs & Maps?), and it can find a few locations that I go to (right out of the box). So my question is this: I am looking for a navigation system with some specific features. Could any of you help me find one with the specific features I am looking for.

I would really like a sleek design like the Mio 320 - Perhaps the Navigon.

I would really like to be able to use Bluetooth and use the Navigation system as hands free system (this is not the most important feature).

What I would really like is to take the music stored on the navigation system and send it to my car stereo (easiest way for me would be FM); if this is even possible. This is the killer feature.

Text-to-speech navigation.

OS X Compatible.

Possibility of Traffic Report (what ever it's called)

User Friendly would be nice, but not the killer feature.

A good car mount would be nice. The 320's car mount is nice, but doesn't feel like it would last L.A. Traffic (75 mph one minute - 5 mph the next).

----------

Regardless of the GPS that would fit these specific needs, I am still interested in your GPS Systems and how they are working for you. Please post pictures if possible as well.

2. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I bought a TOM TOM GP 720 a few months back, has all the features you are looking for. Most importantly of all, the software that ships with it works on the Mac.

Will be using for me the first time (know where I'm going most of the time) tomorrow so can give you feed back after that.

The reason I bought the 720, we are visiting American next year and will be driving from New York to Newport, RI and the 720 seemed the perfect choice for that trip.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I have the Garmin Nuvi 660 and it has everything you mentioned. The Bluetooth works great. Audio quality on my end is perfect and none of the people I've talked to with it have complained that they couldn't hear me. It has 1 gig of built in memory and will take an SD card for MP3s and Audible audiobooks, and can output via AUX or FM (I've never used these features though, as my car has an iPod adapter, Sirius, and 6 disc MP3 CD changer so I've got plenty of entertainment options in my car). It does do text to speech (It's fairly accurate, it does have difficulty with weird street names sometimes, but not bad enough to get you lost, if in doubt, just glance at the screen to get the street name). It's also Mac compatible.

You do need to pay for the traffic updates (I forgot how much it is). Mine came with a free 3 month trial which has expired and I haven't renewed. I spend most of the time in the middle of nowhere for college which doesn't have traffic updates, but the couple times I used it in St. Louis, it was nice. It warned me about traffic along my route and offered to reroute me.

One of the really nice features of it (not sure if other have this, they probably do though) is that it has an internal battery which recharges itself anytime it's plugged in. So if you need to use it for a short trip in someone else's car, you don't need to bother getting the mount or the power cable or anything, the GPS unhooks off the mount and will use the battery. Plus, you can bring it inside to search for POIs or something (my family does that all the time when deciding what restaurant to go eat at, I just bring my GPS in and start browsing the POIs to see what's around). Plus, when you turn off the car, it will remain on for 30 seconds and give you the option to stay on or turn off (and if you don't do anything after 30 seconds, it turns off). So if you're just making a quick stop somewhere, hit the "stay on" button when you shut off your ignition and it will switch to battery. Once you start the car back up, it will switch back to your car's power, and you won't have to wait about 30 seconds for it to boot up. Of course, that's all assuming that your car's cig lighter turns on and off with the rest of your car

The Nuvi 660 is a bit pricey, I think it retails for around $600 (I won mine, so I don't know the exact cost. Garmin recruiters visiting college campuses FTW!), however, you may want to look at other GPSes in the Nuvi line, I think they all share similar features but with different screen sizes.

4. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Cool! both of those sound pretty nice. If you get a chance through out the day will you try the audio FM Transmitter feature on your Nuvi?

I'm gonna look at both of them. I feel to get the features I want I am gonna have to pay 600, which is not exactly what I want to be spending. I do like the traffic thing, but I''ve heard of one company that has a lifetime traffic thing that comes with the purchase of the device.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Jeez, you don't need GPS for that. :p

I95-N to exit 3A (RI-138 East) in Rhode Island. Follow 138 through a few towns, over the Jamestown bridge, and over the Claiborne Pell Newport Bridge ($2 toll, no cards!). And then you're in Newport! :D

6. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

You don't need to spend $600 for the TomTom

amazon

7. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Ooo... very very nice... FM Transmitter too! You may have sold me on this one.

Has anyone used it? How nice is the TomTom? What about traffic reports, what is the price for that?

I have a question for you all: If I got that system would this product -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FEKEN4/ref=pd_luc_00003B000SATCUQB000FEKEN4 -- work with the FM transmitter? My car doesn't have an audio line in so if it only works audio line in it would be quite pointless.

EDIT: So the TomTom Go 720 review from ZDNET says this:

So does that mean my iPhone doesn't work with it?

EDIT 2: This is what I found out about the iPhone:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/portables/tomtom-go-720

Scotthayes I am really looking forward to your experience with it, so please post a review soon.

Anyone else have some thoughts on this system?

EDIT 3: From a review site:
    Makes me a little nervous to drop an extra 150 on this product from my Mio that I haven now returned.

8. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

9. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

As promised, a little review of the TomTom GO 720.

Used it yesterday and today for the first time and have to say very very impressed. Used the speech input for the destination and even with my bad case of man-flu it worked fine, picked the route I'd have taken (only really needed it for the last few miles) it's ETA was accurate to within 1 minute, the map was very clear, direction excellent and had all the speed cameras marked , even the temporary ones. The bluetooth hands free was very good, nice and clear. Only thing I didn't try was the FM receiver as I've got that in my car already.

On the whole very impressed with it. I'd say, go buy one now...

10. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

11. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Cool thank you. I have sent you a PM.

Thank you for this. I read this and while I wished the test would have been thorough I do understand where the author is going. The problem I have is that I would have to plop down another 150-200 to get the equivalent features I would be getting on the TomTom. I really didn't want to spend anything over 400, and I really would have to spend something more like 600 to get what is equivalent to the 720. With that said, I love how the Garmin tells you what side of the street things are on... Now I might have to justify paying more...

12. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

13. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

That's what I was thinking. A lot of comments on the article mentioned that as well. I have heard very good things about the Garmin's mapping system, but I also have never heard horrible things about the TomTom like that article points out.

14. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Correct me if I am wrong, but I can't find a single Garmin navigation system that has an FM Transmitter. I see most of them have an FM modulator so that I can pay more money to subscribe to their services, but I can't find one that has an FM Transmitter.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Ok I guess Cnet and a few other sites aren't specifying which ones have FM transmitters. I would read the reviews but there were no mentions of one. Then I was reading a tigerdirect.com deal on the Nuvi 660 and this is what it said:

EDIT 2: I almost feel like if I am gonna end up with a Garmin I might as well just get this instead: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3388705&CatId=2374

--Garmin Navigation (ready?)
    --DVD player
    --CD player
    --iPod Ready
    --Sirius Ready

I imagine it is everything I want except for the hard drive/sd card but I can just use my iPod instead on this one and not need an FM Transmitter...

EDIT 3: Has anyone heard anything about this GPS: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2487005&CatId=2374

I know it isn't a Garmin or TomTom, but I am wondering if it is perhaps a player on the field who has potential to be good.

15. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I love my Mio 320! Much better than that $800 Garmin I returned before it.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

FM Modulator and FM Transmitter are the same thing.

17. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Really why do you love it? I am mostly returning it because it can't find my house that is 3 years old now. If it can't find that it will be useless to me when I am using it for work.

Really? Surely there is something different between the two. Why do they separate them in review searches then? I thought the Modulator was so the GPS could receive FM signals for Traffic and other things, while the transmitter transmits and FM signal so you can pick it up on your car stereo.

EDIT: http://www.harmankardon.com/guideandplay/gps810/

I really like that. Has anyone tried this? It seems exactly what I am looking for. I am looking up reviews now.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Wirelessly posted (HTC_P4350 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12))

the traffic thing is the FM receiver. Modulator and transmitter are the same. if you want some sort of confirmation of that, download the user manual from their website and make sure there's a section on the fm transmitter

19. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Cool. Simple enough. Thank you.