In-Class Note Taking App (but not Evernote)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jonahsaltzman, Jul 29, 2011.

1. jonahsaltzman macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, 1st post,

What I've been looking for is a really good note taking app that I can use to take notes during lectures and such (though the app doesn't need to be designed for this purpose), and that preferably has an iPhone equivalent that it will sync with, so that I can review my notes when I'm not at my computer. When I first downloaded it, Evernote seemed perfect, but I soon discovered that it's really not suited for the fast-paced note-taking required for a lecture: it wants you to individually title each note (otherwise they all show up as Untitled), and there's not shortcut/hotkey to start a new note; you have to click the button. This may not seem so bad, but especially when the professor's talking really fast, a hotkey would be incredibly useful. Does anyone have any suggestions? If no one can think of anything, maybe an app like the one I described, but not necessarily with the iPhone syncing option? Thanks!

2. steveoc, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

steveoc macrumors regular

I don't have an iPhone, so I really can't address those facets (No cell access where I live).

If I were back in school, I'd consider something like Pear Note. It allows you to record the lecture while you type and syncs your notes with the audio, so you can go back and fill in the blanks, of just get the audio context for notes that don't make sense. I've never used this software, but almost bought it on sale. It's not cheap $39. No iphone app, but you can publish notes to web.

Circus Ponies Notebook allows you to record as you take notes and also customize your keyboard shortcuts. It doesn't sync notes, but it has features that you might find useful for research. $30 academic. Again, no iPhone app, but you can publish notes to web.

Curio has the ability to record as you take notes too. It has even more research, brainstorming, mind mapping, etc, and costs a bit more. They have an academic discount too.

The are other apps too. Of course, you may be able to configure a hot key in EverNote of through some 3rd party macro creator.

I'm sure there are other options.

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Sure there is. I use command-N to create new notes in Evernote regularly. :)

Not that it solves your other problem though.

4. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

If we leave the iPhone sync out of the question. Word for mac have a notepad view that includes audio recording and exporting (to an mp3 that you can get with you on your iphone, for example) and is quite useful for note taking. It links the audio recorded to specific parts of the notes taken, so you can listen to what was said around when you wrote a specific line.
    The outlining capabilities are also great.

5. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

I am in the same boat as the OP, I also need a good note taking app, and I was wondering if there were any apps like the one used in the new PC commercials. In the commercial the student sits back as his professor talks and the app on his PC types what is being picked up through the microphone in live time. It sort of reminds me of the dragon dictation app I have on my iPod and iPad.

Anyone know of anything like that for the Mac? My dream would be to have an app that recorded and wrote one page of notes, while I typed another on my own, and at the end of class I could compare what the app recorded and transcribed vs. What I wrote, with the option of editing my notes to combine them into a super note. Am I too ambitious?

6. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Check out AudioNote; it's in the Mac Store and in the App Store. It essentially does what Pear Note and my Livescribe pen does: syncs typing up with audio so that you can easily access what you're looking for. Use of a decent mic helps, but it works even without the audio. They have a lite version so you can demo it. Very cool. There are bunches of cool apps like this but not all have companion computer applications.

Rob

7. Cap11 macrumors newbie

I use Sorting Thoughts for my notes. It has some nice features like the note tree and note linking - that's really useful to rearranging notes. Unfortunately, only Android and HP webOS handsets are supported for a sync :(

Link: http://www.sortingthoughts.de/blog/