In college thinking of changing mac setup?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Airforcekid, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

As of now I have an MacBook Air SSD(Dented and minor issues) and Macbook Pro 17 Inch (Perfect condition) both last gen.

Im considering selling both and getting a 24 inch iMac and the new 2.13 Air.
    I should have a little money left over and two new macs. But I will miss being able to work with the pro outside of a dorm room. What would you do?

Also anyway to sneak wireless using airport express? They dont allow wireless only ethernet very annoying for MBA. Anyway for only my MBA to see it?

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Why not just get the new 15in or 17in Macbook Pro so you'll still have portability (almost like the air) and power (close/equal to the iMac.) You will also save a lot of money ;)

3. Airforcekid thread starter macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

I tried that awhile ago it failed on me even though I had Applecare I had no notes etc. So im always going to have two.

4. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Then the setup you said earlier is perfect. You have the powerful computer at home (iMac) and the Air for portability.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Don't buy two computers at the same time- you just have to replace them at the same time in the future.

6. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

just a quick note on the wireless question.

i had the same problem this year at my student halls. the problem was you had to register your MAC address of the computer you're going to use (i guess yours will be similar to this) so i got a wireless router, and from the settings pane cloned the MAC address of my macbook. i could then have as many computer as i wanted on the network.

i'm not sure if the airport express could do this. i just had an old linksys router lying around so used that.

7. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

You don't need an Airport Express - you can plug the ethernet into your MB and then share the connection wirelessly using its built -in airport.

8. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

That's a good point, but you'll have to update sometime in the future anyway. I look at Macs as cars. New ones come out every year. That doesn't mean you should buy a new one every year. However, when I see something I want I trade in. I sell my current Mac and shell out the couple hundred dollars to get the one I want. Macs always have a high resell value. The only thing you have to do is find someone who is looking for your specific Mac that you're trying to sell. And for you, this means possibly selling two in the future. It could be done, easily.

9. suekitch macrumors regular

The other thing is that Apple don't tend to update all their Mac lines in one go - even if you buy two at the same time, odds are you'll only have one that's been freshly updated.

So when it comes to upgrading in the future, you might decide to upgrade one of your machines 6 months to a year before the other, depending on your usage of both etc, and when the new ones come out..

10. Airforcekid thread starter macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

I was offered $3,400 for both plus software etc will most likely make the switch. Also tried sharing via the macbook pro works great I wont have to get another ethernet adapter for the air! Kinda killed the air concept.

11. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Wow, I thought the Airport n card in MBPs can only let you go on a network, didn't know another could use it as a router (?). How do other notebooks pick up the signal off your MBP?

12. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

The best option would be a desktop and a laptop combo, you can never go wrong there. I am not sure if the MacBook Air will be enough for me personally but if you like it then that would be a great combo.

13. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I would go the route that you said earlier, laptop and desktop. However, if I was in your setup I would just buy a 15" MBP. But, you need a desktop. So, I would suggest getting the iMac like you said and getting a MBP/MBA. I would honestly go for the MBP 13". You save yourself money and you get a slightly faster computer with more HDD space. Up to you though.

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What's wrong with a highly upgraded Pro and an external monitor? I'm still confused why two makes sense.