In complete despair :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StevieMooey, Jan 14, 2008.

1. StevieMooey macrumors member

No hyperbole... I really am in complete despair

My nearly two year old macbook pro (Core Duo 2.0Ghz, first gen. March 2005) is, I think, dying on me. I would really appreciate any feedback as to whether this is the case before I take the big financial step and buy a new machine. I was hoping to get another year yet.

Basically, as I have outlined on this forum previously, I think my trackpad button is broken. Text keeps getting automatically highlighted constantly as though the button is depressed. Sometimes its fine... for example, it seems to stop if I change the trackpad settings in SystemPref's, but this only last a short while. I have re-installed OSX (10.5.1), I have reset the P-Ram... it is taking me about three times as long to type this now!!!!! My computer is becoming unusable.

I have been in tears this morning. I LIVE on my puter. Before I take the plunge and get a new one (I am a graduate student and cannot really afford to, but will if really necessary), can anyone suggest any way to fix this?

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Suggest that you go to your nearest Apple Store and have them take a look at it before you make your decision.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

You might consider disabling the internal trackpad and using an external mouse until you can find out how to get the trackpad fixed?

Doesn't solve the problem, but might help relieve a little of the frustration? :(

4. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I agree with sushi and aristobrat. Your trackpad problem sounds like something that can be repaired.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Great idea.

That way he might isolate the problem, and if it is the trackpad, that can be replaced.

Plus he can use the external mouse in the interim. :)

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

This is going to sound crazy, but take the battery out and see if it's bulging. I worked on a MBP where the battery was bulging (it was covered under the Exchange Program) and it pressed up on the trackpad button from underneath, resulting in exactly the symptoms you describe. Without the battery (and with the new one installed) it worked fine.

jW

7. StevieMooey thread starter macrumors member

Goodness!

What beautiful replies!

Thank you so much: getting an external mouse is a super idea! I can't believe I'd not thought of that :)

But... the big news is.... I have a bulging battery!!!!!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you Mal! I have removed battery and problem gone! I'll have to wait to get to an Apple Store to see if its eligible for replacement, but even if I have to buy one is a small price to pay!

This is simply marvelous news!

Thanks Mal, sushi, aristobat and yoopie! You have just saved me about £1500! :D

Much love to all, from this very happy bunny :)

Mooey

8. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

So obviously changing the trackpad preferences was simply a placebo effect... ;)

Congrats on the quick and reasonably painless solution!

9. StevieMooey thread starter macrumors member

:p

10. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

Ahh... my pet peeve of the day -users who say, "my laptop may have died/ is dying," etc. Unlike living organisms with terminal heart problems, machines don't die even when their most integral components fail. If you were to catapult your laptop into the sun it wouldn't die. These are the very same users who claim "my laptop is possessed!" They're also the same users who upon barging into their coworkers cubical and finding me troubleshooting make the same comments: "You're not Ellen! Why Ellen.. I love the new haircut. Oh, did Ellen kill her laptop again?" On a similar note, cars don't die either. Cats... die. Computers crash. Now batteries? .. it's acceptable to use the term "dead battery." I will also forgive when a laptop won't power up and the term "dead" is used to describe it. This is acceptable use. However, when the screen is dark but the fan is whirring and the lights are blinking it's not alright to say dead. When you're on the elevator and the nerd is carrying a powered laptop, don't under any circumstances ask if "someone's laptop died." Don't out yourself as that person who hits the brakes when a car is pulled over on the other side of the median. Instead just say, "sup computer guy," or nodding is cool, or even "someone having problems?" This is no worse than "how ya doin," also to which, nobody cares but is considered an acceptable greeting. All forms of communication that aren't immediately useful, all banter, especially pre-9am on Mondays is tossed into the same bin. "Hello fellow human being, I too share this existential loneliness. Let us rejoice in our communal chasing of the never reachable carrot as we turn this mill for the executive plantation whip masters."

11. oseary macrumors member

That's awesome man, glad to hear that your 'book will still chug along!!!!!!

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Glad to hear! Thanks for the feedback! :)

13. StevieMooey thread starter macrumors member

Hi there! I'm sorry you feel like this. I really am. Take a holiday, man.

With love

Mooey

14. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

Here here. Who says that you can't personify whatever you like. From cars to macbooks, its a free freakin country (Though I am referring to the US, I'm pretty sure you can it anywhere. Even in the Nanny State *cough* UK *cough*)

15. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

That was awesome dude.. Happy ending..

16. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

I've said it once and I'll say it again... that's why I love these forums - solutions to almost every problem.