In-Dash Navigation iphone dock concept

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by keenan wolf, Jun 25, 2009.

1. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

Ive looked everywhere on the internet searching for a car stereo deck that uses the iphone to control everything. my idea, the iphone is the screen for the navigation system/Car stereo deck, kind of like the TomTom car kit and app but instead its built into your standard Double Din Car stereo slot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Why hasnt a company made this yet? i would pay so much for something like this!

2. keenan wolf thread starter macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

3. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

4. keenan wolf thread starter macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

[​IMG]

5. yellowmuffins macrumors newbie

I have been dreaming about this for such a long time now. I would love to see the iPhone serve as a car entertainment controller. Add a wireless hookup to the OBDII port like Rev does, and it would be a perfect car monitoring system as well. Apple just needs to make the home screen be able to flip to landscape mode. That and they need to make profiles, so once your in your car your phone can automatically change settings such as turning off screen auto-lock. Glad to see you posted this, I can't believe more people aren't interested.

6. keenan wolf thread starter macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Why the heck waste all of that space???

Instead of worrying about docking an iPhone in the unit like that and using the iPhone screen, use an actual touchscreen device that fills up almost all of a double DIN space. Then there could be an integrated universal dock in the car somewhere that attaches to the unit.

A Kenwood unit I just looked at had a 6.1" screen. I think that's nearly double an iPhone. As long as the right software is used on the stereo, then it could be quite an awesome unit that feeds off an iPhone or iPod.

8. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

That'd be pretty nice, much more elegant than my current phone/stereo connection.

9. keenan wolf thread starter macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

yeah but those screens aren't very stable, when you try and touch it they give a little bit. and most car stereos are double din anyways. so really your not wasting space, what would you put in in the unused slot? a empty slot and put your phone in it?

10. keenan wolf thread starter macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

11. cmschmidt macrumors 6502

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

until

the Iphone can run a couple of apps in the background I see no real reason for this in other words I like to run say Pandora and Tomtom together or Sticher or Wunderradiountil then I will keep my regular GPS system! I just don't see many willing to have the radio's dependent on the Iphone there is no reason for it. JMO I love my Iphone I just love it too multi task a little..

13. cdinca macrumors 6502

14. Nimrad macrumors 6502

That's a burn, seeing as it does extist now

15. Nimrad macrumors 6502

I would've bought that one if I didn't have to use a protective casing for the iPhone 4.

16. TC25 macrumors 68020

17. RenoG macrumors 65816

Basically this forces you to keep your old iphone on the version the unit supports soooo don't update it because you know chances are they would not be able to keep up with apple.

Nice concept but I'll stick with my AUX in....Thanks.

18. MR Bulk macrumors regular

Why not just connect via Bluetooth?

19. TC25 macrumors 68020

Stop and think about what you've asked.

Pretend you had an iPhone4 and this accessory.

You buy an iPhone5.

Does BT help you fit your iPhone5 into the 'pocket' on the front of the accessory that is now too small? No.

Does BT keep your iPhone5 charged? No.

Does BT even transmit all the same data the connector did? Who knows.

You no longer have an in dash, iPhone based GPS that you can keep charged.

What's the point?

20. frankdogg, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

frankdogg macrumors regular

frankdogg

21. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Easily solvable by having a removable faceplate that upgrades with your phone.
    I saw one company that attempted this on kickstarter but it seems the entrepreneur has ran away with all the money. Anyone know if there are any such products on the market right now?