"In-Depth" Zagg Invisible Shield Review

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by IdiotWithAGun, Jul 3, 2010.

1. IdiotWithAGun macrumors newbie

I know there has been a lot of talk about the different screen protectors such as the zagg IS or wrapsol so I thought I'd contribute my Invisible Shield experience.

I would just like to premise this with the fact that I have only had the IS on for about a week and this review/info is regarding the installation and first impressions. I have not used the wrapsol, BSE, or SGP screen protectors.

If you are too lazy to read, I will add a shorter bulleted summary at the bottom of the page.

I went out and bought the IS at best buy after trying out one of the privacy protectors that they sold that I wasn't too happy with. As soon as I found the invisible shield that was for the iphone 4 I had the option of only choosing the front and back protection with the wet application. The first thing I noticed was the price tag of $30 dollars. Then I thought to myself, "I have to protect this $600 dollar investment right?" So, I bought it...

Installation
    I got home and was told by my cousin that his experience with the invisible shield was good and it was a good product and that his only problem with it was installation. I can confirm his claim about the troublesome installation. I would like to caution everyone that before you install this product on anything you need to make sure you read the provided manual and look at an installation video online (you can find them on youtube). After I did that, being the severe OCD type of person when it comes to glassy things (eyeglass/sunglass lenses, phone screens, etc), I had to make sure this installation was perfect. I went to my bathroom and turned on the shower to its hottest setting to make the bathroom was very humid to help prevent the dust particles from moving around. This is a useful technique I found online and have employed in past screen protector installations. I am not going to lie, I got it right on the first time, but only because I used a fairly good amount of application fluid on the screen and screen protector which allowed me to correct the placing of the protector once placed. I took my careful time squeegeeing out the bubbles and using a towel to gather the excess fluid as it was being squeegeed out. I let it sit for about 10 minutes for both sides.

Apparently you can remove the screen once placed to reposition, however I cannot attest to this.

Current Thoughts After a Week of Use
    The protection seems really good and the screen seems to have set. My only concerns are the feel that this product gives. You will definitely notice a difference with these on. I would say that it really comes down to personal preference. The back cover makes the phone less "slidey" along surfaces which can be a good or bad thing. Sometimes it will stick to tables and you have to pick the phone off. However the case has not stuck to the table and come off of the phone. It slides in and out of the pocket just fine. My BIG HUGE problem with this screen protector is that it prevents you from using some cases. Some of the early cases for the iphone really are snug and tight to the screen, which cause the protector to get peeled. You need to fine the right case for this if you want one. Currently, the Apple bumper is protecting my phone. If you are too look at the phone at an angle you will see that the surface of the case is somewhat bumpy. It’s really hard to describe with words but it does not affect the clarity of the screen whatsoever. It is also very easy to remove fingerprints, bodily oils, etc. I have not really seen too much of the orange peel effect, but I am still waiting for it…

Good:
    - Virtually scratch proof
    - Lifetime warranty
    - Good cutouts
    - Does not affect screen clarity
    - Sold in stores (not limited to online purchases)

Bad:
    -INSTALLATION
    -Pricetag ($30)
    -Sticky feeling (personal preference)
    -Possibility of “orange-peel-effect”
    -Prevents use of certain cases
    -Shipping to and from for lifetime warranty replacement

I hope that this review was informative and helped some of you out choosing, because I know its very difficult on the forums to find a decent review. I tried my best to not take any sides. If you guys want pics, I can do it by request. Thanks for reading!

2. skinticket macrumors newbie

thanks for the review! my local mall has a booth set up and they will do a full install for $30 i think. i may end up going there tomorrow to get it done. the orange peel is what's going to bother me the most, but like you said, this is $600 you're looking to protect. I also have the bumper case that i'll be putting over it.

3. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

You mean they charge you $30 JUST for the install? If so, that's a total ripoff. I got mine at Best Buy. They charge the price of the product, plus $7.00 for install. Unless you flirt with them a lot -- then they won't make you pay for the product, just the install! :D

4. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

yes if you are an OCD type good luck...as particles stick out like a zit on a nose.
    the sticky feeling goes away after a week or two.
    the appearance/clarity is compromised but not too bad.
    bodygyardz.com gas them for half the price of zagg.
    both work well.
    if you have say keys in the same pocket and it rub against the screen wrinkles can occur. fix by dabbing a facecloth in hot water for a few seconds then gently massage the film with the included squeegee.

do not use pliers or tweezers to remove film from packaging it can cause stretching or deformities.

before application clean the surrounding areas, the film willl attract dust

5. Orbane macrumors member

One thing I noticed about my application (and it may have just been an error on my part) is the vertical 'rainbow-like' streaks on the screen. It's only really noticable if you turn up the brightness full and look at a white background. At first I thought this was just some of the excess water that I could not squeegee out and would eventually dry. But after a week, they are still there, albeit they have faded substantially since the day I installed.

I did some research and it seems to be a defect caused during the manufacturing of the film. Zagg will replace this (if you can convince them it is not an installation error). I just plan to keep it on until I can get a Power Support/SGP protector for the front.

If anyone has had the same issue then let me know how it's working out for you.

6. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502

ive used the Zagg on my iPhone 4 and the back is fine, but when using the bumper the screen protector is starting to peel already in one of the corners, which is kind of annoying!

might have to get a cheap one off ebay as i never seem to have problems with them and cases

7. twigg macrumors member

I bought a Zagg online (for those of you that do Google for coupons up to. 50% off) due to it's suppose scratch resistance and minimalistic design. The installation went ok but the grippy feeling it gave really bugged me. It attracts dirt, lint, etc. I took the front off but I still have the back on. I'm waiting for Power Supports front and back.

8. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I just peeled both my front and back off as my phone was swapped by Apple. I'm sending them old skins back while they send my new skins out.

But ... I'm not hesitant to reinstall them. I agree w/ the OP - the end result is very sticky, it seems to be a finger print magnet, and the install has to be perfect or you'll notice it pretty easily.

I'm thinking powershell and a otterbox case (bumper for now). Maybe I'll put the IS on the back of the unit in the meantime.

I can say this - it peels off easy. No trace of it ever being there when I gave my original phone back to Apple.

9. suoo macrumors newbie

Zagg has the iPad giveaway still going until the end of July; just enter your email in and they'll send you a promo code up to 50% off. I got 2 maximum protection invisibleshields for my iphone 4 + a USB dual car charger for $35 after CA tax and free shipping.

If you don't get a 50% code the first time around, just enter another email through a different IP address (e.g. once on your computer and another over iphone [not on wifi]).

I just installed it myself, since it's way cheaper than going to a place to buy it + install it for you. Just make sure you align it right so the bumper doesn't push the shield away. I kinda screwed up on the back, but the bumper's rubber should be able to just lay on top over the shield.

Also IMO, there is way less fingerprints showing on the invisibleshield then there is on a bare iphone 4. I was playing with mine before I put the shield on and the fingerprints just stood out way more and looked terrible. Again, it's just my opinion.

10. timirving macrumors member

Problem..... IS slides around...

Ok, I really wanted to rock the iPhone 4 naked but opted to get the IS because of reports of scratching. I have had and installed the IS and other similar "shields" on 5 iPhones and a few other smart phones; I have had no problem installing them and have had a few friends and colleagues ask me to install theirs after seeing my phones. I had one on my 3GS for about 7 months but took it off because it was peeling on the edges. And I didn't like that.

The install on the IP4 went well and the IS Looked awesome..... For 3 days. I have a couple of the rainbow lines but they are decreasing with age. 2 nights ago, I was emailing a friend and I noticed the back protector was overlapping a bit on one side. Thus perplexed me so I fiddled with it until it slid back to the way it was.

A few times a day, I have to recheck it and fix it and now the edges have peeled. The IS looks and feels like crap on the IP 4. I'm taking it off!

11. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Bought the front only at best buy but zagg shipped me the back for $10.

Really liking it. Currently waiting for my iPhone bumper to complement it.

12. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I noticed the same thing but only on the back. My front seems to be doing fine. I wonder if it has something to do with the different material that the back is made of? I suspect it's different than the front, because it seems to scratch easier.
    I'm thinking about using an incipio feather case on the back on top of the IS. otherwise I would send this back.

13. timirving macrumors member

Actually, the front still looks great; it's just the back for me.... Which is where I really want the shield. The front really isn't that important to me because I have never had a scratch on any of my iPhones.

14. Colella16 macrumors newbie

I feel like the Zagg does affect the retina display, Ever since I put it on I've had OCD over the fact that my lock screen background looks more"fuzzy" and pixelated than it did before. Before, I loved the screen and every time I looked at it I was extremely satisfied, now it just doesn't seem as clear and vibrant and I can't help but want to take the Zagg off. I want to take it off but I don't think I'm going to because A: I paid 45$ for the shield and installation and B: I do like the protection and not having to worry about scratching it.

Does anybody else think the clarity of the screen is affected?

15. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

Well I do feel like it makes the screen dim. Meaning I don't think it affects the actual clarity but for some reason it dims the screen so it doesn't look as bright and lively. Other than that I'm happy with it until the PowerSupports come out.

16. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I never even heard of Powersupport until reading this forum. So much universal praise - I pre-ordered my first set. I hope its as described !

17. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

I've got the zagg. Avoid putting a case on for the first 4-6 days as it will peel and cause air bubbles to form. After about a week with the zagg shield, put your case on, and the zagg won't peel. At least for me this is how it turned out. I take it the zagg just needed more time to stick itself to the product.

18. IdiotWithAGun thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm gonna have to try this when I get a replacement zag if I do get one...

19. sp219 macrumors newbie

Same issue, and I'm doing the same thing. Had it professionally installed and have the rainbow streaks and I'm OCD so that's not going to fly. Just going to keep it on until Power Support's are available.

20. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502

i think im going to have to try this.

although after leaving my phone to dry for around 18 hours the back (which has started to peel because of the bumper) i can still move the IS around with my thumb if i apply enough pressure :confused:

im starting to think it wasn't worth the £15, not sure if they do an exchange option in the UK

21. IdiotWithAGun thread starter macrumors newbie

you have to let it dry at least 48 hours imo before you put any case on it. did you squeegee all the excess fluid out?

22. harshw macrumors member

I think the best is to use the Zagg for the back and a crystal shield type screen protector for the front. I used that for my 3G with great success.

As pointed out, many people don't like the spongy feeling and the orange peel effect the front protector causes.

But using the Zagg for the back is a good idea since even cases like Reveal are known to get dirt trapped between the phone and case, causing scratches when you take the case off

23. jameszc macrumors newbie

I have the same vertical streaks and it really shows up on the iphone 4, i emailed them and they replied;

"The nature of the invisibleSHIELD has some limitations and it seems you have located one of the few. There can, at times, be some considerably small lines that may appear like an incredibly fine hair or scratch and this is an unavoidable quality"

so it seems they know about this issue, but i think because the iphone 4 has such a clear display the problem is amplified. They offered me a replacement but said it would have the same defect so i dont think i will bother, just get a power support instead.

24. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502

i did lose all the excess fluid.

i fixed it last night, left it for around 15hours, went to work with the phone in my pocket (no case) and i go to take the phone out my pocket a few hours later and the IS on the back of the phone had slid half way down the phone :eek:

on myn anyway, it just doesnt seem to be clinging to the phone, and the Zagg site says leave for around 12hours and i have done that, and still having problems.

Hopefully i can return it and give it one more go!

25. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

Can the IS be removed and re installed? Mine is pealing off on the edges, but I think it is because is not on the right place, and some of the edges are pass the glass... Should I try to re install the one I have now or should I just request a replacement and keep the one I have on the phone as it is until I get it?