In desparate need of help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TIMOFNC, Dec 30, 2011.

1. TIMOFNC macrumors newbie

Hello all. I bought my wife a 27" Imac from Best Buy for Christmas, based on a comment she made once that she wanted to get one to edit and manage her pictures and so forth.
    Having opened the box and put the computer in use, she has now become extremely pissed off at me because neither the Canon camera nor the Epson printer she has will interface with the Imac.
    Neither of us has experience with Mac software, with all of our lives spent on windows operating systems. I realize that there are differences in the commands, but is the Imac really that picky to the point where you can't interface some common ancillary equipment?
    Please offer suggestions so I can get myself out of the doghouse on this one.
    TimofNC

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Check "Software Update", might download all the drivers for you.

Apple logo (top left of screen/menu bar) > Software Update > Check for updates.

Everything usually does work so not sure why it's not, especially the Canon camera, you using iPhoto to import the photos correct?

There's never a need to get pissed off a technology btw, it's completely inanimate and doesn't have the ability to care about your frustration :p And to be honest, she should be grateful you bought her an iMac...

3. McGiord, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

First things first.

For the camera.
    How are you connecting it to the iMac:
    With a USB cable or a FireWire cable?
    To see if the camera is seen go to the Apple Menu, select About This Mac, More Info...
    System Report...
    And there you can see all the the 'devices', under USB or FireWire you should see the camera.
    This is only to see if the Mac is connected to the camera (also the printer should show up once it is connected).

To get the pictures and videos out of the camera:
    You have several choices:
    1- Use Image Capture, this is an app that is already installed in your Mac. To open it go to the Applications Folder and search for Image Capture.
    Another way of getting things open, is using spotlight (the small magnifying glass on the right side of the top menu): type there Image Capture and you can open it from there.
    2- Use iPhoto. Launch iPhoto and the camera will appear there.
    3- If the camera flash memory is connected as a flash storage drive, it should appear as a drive in the Finder. Click on the Finder icon on the Dock, the Camera 'drive' should be seen under devices.

If nothing seems to work, you might need to download software from the camera manufacturer's website, and after installing or updating to the latest version it should work.

And for the printer:
    Go to the Apple Menu, select System Preferences, click on Printer and Scan.
    Click on the + button and follow the prompts.
    If that doesn't work, then you need to go to Epson's website and get the software needed to install the printer.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=186644&infoType=FAQs

4. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

What Canon is she using, my canon works perfect with my iMac as for the printer, I can't help you there as I am paperless.

5. TIMOFNC thread starter macrumors newbie

desparate help

We're using a Canon Rebel T3i and Epson Photo Stylus 1400

----------

Thank you all for the quick response. I've found that forums have great information and people.

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You say interface with the computer. What software were you attempting to run for the camera? Downloading photos/video from a flash card is a dumb operation in that it can be accomplished without the use of dedicated software.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supAdvice.jsp?type=highlights&noteoid=187307

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=79609&infoType=Downloads

There are Epson links for you. Just ensure you run the software update function. Click the Apple logo in the upper left hand corner and choose software update. Let it download and install updates. Reboot if necessary. After that I'd also suggest you to to applications>utilities>disk utility and do a quick permissions repair on the volume. I'd also suggest onyx to handle routine maintenance scripts and other things.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/index.php

I hope this helps.

7. multicore macrumors member

I thought Apple slimmed down Lion by eliminating 3rd party drivers from the install? I know that when my daughter connected her older Canon printer to her new iMac it had to download the current driver first.

8. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

We just purchased a new Epson and had to download the drivers on our iMac. It was quick and easy.

9. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

That little slot on the right side of your iMac (below the dvd drive) is for SD cards. How is it that you can't interface with your iMac? Tell your wife to calm down.