Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tifa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Since my old 2006 black macbook is at the verge of dying, I'm looking to buy a new macbook pro this weekend.
The newly updated lineup looks great. However I just discovered that my student store offers some really great deal for the older generations of mbp too.
Right now my choices are:

1. The new high-end 13.3" mbp (highest end)
Intel Core i7
Intel HD 3000
500GB hard drive
$1399 with student discount

2. The last generation of 15.4" mbp (lowest end)
2.4GHz Intel Core i5
NVIDIA 330M w/256MB
320GB hard drive
$1599 for student sale

3. The 2009 generation of 15.4" mbp (highest end)
2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo
NVIDIA 9600M&9400M w/ 512mb
500GB hard drive
$1599 for clearance sale

I'm looking to buy a laptop that will last at least 1.5 - 2 years. I do not photoshop, no FCS and other fancy editing softwares for me.
The main tasks I perform on a laptop include:
1. Watching movies and drama
2. Write essays
3. Browsing safari with 10 tabs open at the same time
4. Skype
5. Using iPhoto to organize my albums (this is extremely slow on my current model of macbook)
6. iTunes to listen to and transfer songs
7. Keynote & Numbers
I know all of the above might sound pretty funny to professional mac users...

Forgot to mention, I'd also like a quiet laptop. My current macbook sounds like it's gonna explode anytime.

Please help me choose a macbook pro out of the above options!
Thank you!!

Last edited:

danetello

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
I would probably go with option 2. Most of the things you are doing on your macbook do use a lot of power, so there is not really any need for the i7 processor. Core 2 Duo is very old so I would go with the i5 in the last generation 15". You would benefit from a 15" screen when organising iPhoto, browsing the internet, watching movies etc. A 320GB hard drive should be enough for what you're doing (unless you have a HUGE music library), but you can always upgrade it easily if you feel the need to :). All the choices will all be very quite, but if you want it to be really silent then you should get an SSD.

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
2. The last generation of 15.4" mbp (lowest end)
2.4GHz Intel Core i5
NVIDIA 330M w/256MB
320GB hard drive
$1599 for student sale

You can always update the RAM and HDD pretty cheap if you grow out of it. Cant stretch the screen :p

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
also consider the 13" mba with RAM maxed out.

:)

Good point! You may not think so but if you watch some of the MBA videos on apple.com you might change your mind.

I almost got one.

You have to get the extra ram new, those are much harder to upgrade. The upgrade fee is reasonable.

tifa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Thanks for all your replies! I really appreciate it!
So you guys think it's okay to spend $200 extra dollars on an older generation MBP, for a significantly bigger and better screen (but slower CPU)?

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
Thanks for all your replies! I really appreciate it!
So you guys think it's okay to spend $200 extra dollars on an older generation MBP, for a significantly bigger and better screen (but slower CPU)?

I think so, you have to be doing some pretty big (expensive) programs to tell the difference.

That and if it does feel slow you can later upgrade the RAM to 8gb for about 100.00.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.