in desperate need of help.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by amilano, Dec 4, 2011.

1. amilano macrumors newbie

okay so to explain my situation, i dropped my phone a couple weeks ago and the back glass cracked. fast forward about 3 weeks and the day before i could finally have it taken to the apple store to be fixed it becomes a brick and stops working. i was using it and it went to sleep and i went to send a text and couldn't get it to turn on.

i tried a hard reset and nothing, i tried plugging it in and charging it, nothing, the only thing it does is start the silver apple logo over and over. i tried restarting the computer with the phone plugged in and nothing. lastly, i tried doing a restore but i get a 2001 error.

i took it to the apple store today and they tried to do a restore there and nothing either. they told me that they could replace the back and that i should send it to my insurance company. well when they went into the back they came back with it still cracked and said that they couldn't fix the back because the inside had been tampered with.

so basically now i can't send it to the insurance company because they'll say it was from being dropped even though apple told me it has nothing to do with dropping it, its a software issue.

i can't afford a replacement right now so i'm wondering if there is ANY way to fix this issue. i absolutely need my phone to contact my husband who is across the country for a month. any help would be greatly appreciated! if you need any more info let me know.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Order a new back plate and replace it yourself.
    Then send it in to the insurance or bring it back to Apple and hope they replace it for free once they see no physical damage on it and it wont power on.

3. amilano thread starter macrumors newbie

is that my only option? there's no way to fix it myself?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its one way.
    Not sure what's really wrong with it internally but you can try a local iphone repair shop too.

5. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

The only way I can think of is putting your phone in DFU then iTunes will prompt to restore. DFU mode isn't the "hard reset" that you do by holding the on/off and home button, it's a different procedure but it's pretty simple. First, connect your iPhone to your computer with iTunes open. After that, press and HOLD (and I mean HOLD) the on/off and home button. It takes about 10-15 seconds to force it recovery mode. At this point, you'll see a pop up message from iTunes notifying you that it detected the iPhone and will ask you to restore. Do it. Everything should work again. I believe this is your last option.