in desperate need of iphoto help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hellospiff, Jan 17, 2008.

1. hellospiff macrumors newbie

my iphoto is driving me crazy. i have too many photos (1800). this is the product of me accidentally doubling some photos. when i delete a photo and the "view" setting is on "date", it is deleted. however, when i view the photos by another criteria, like "roll", the photo is still there. how do i delete a photo so it is deleted from all different "view" types? i.e. so it is truly forever deleted. i don't understand why i seem to have so many different versions of the same photo. also, when i enlarge a photo, another photo (one aprox. 15 beforehand) is selected and enlarged instead of the one that i had originally selected. help help. thanks!!!!

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

O.K., several things going on here. First, are you deleting from the "roll" rather than from an album? Albums only hold aliases to the photos, not the photo itself, so if you are deleting from an album, you are only taking it out of the album, not the full library.

Are you deleting to iPhoto trash or to your regular trash? You need to be using the trash in iPhoto. Then empty the trash to completely remove the photos.

If you truly believe you have duplicates, you can run an app like iPhoto Diet to delete the dupes. Just be careful and read the verbiage closely to make sure you are clear what it is going to do. There are several options, just make sure you are telling it to do what you want it to do.

By the way, 1800 photos is not so much -- I have over 5,000 and no problems! You can, however, create additional libraries to store your photos -- maybe like some you don't look at very much but want to keep/archive. Hold down the option key when you open iPhoto and you will be prompted to open a library or create a library.

Good luck and let us know how you come out!