In dire need of assistance.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jimothy508, Jul 22, 2010.

1. jimothy508 macrumors newbie

I have a 3rd gen 32gb iPod Touch that I'm about to sell in a few hours. It's been jailbroken (with stuff like winterboard and categories on it). I wanted to wipe it clean of my info so I went to settings, reset, and proceeded to clear the data.

It seemed to take quite some time so I continued to check it every now and then. Usually when I checked it, it had the apple logo and a spinning "progress bar". However, after a while that progress bar got stuck, but I figured maybe it would fix itself after some time so I let it do it's business. After about half an hour it was still stuck in the same spot, so I held the home and sleep button til it shut off. I then plugged it into my computer and the apple logo showed up once again but my computer didn't recognize the device. After a while longer the spinning progress bar popped up and started spinning again.

Is this normal behavior for an iPod Touch when it's restoring itself? Should I just let it go through it's paces or is there something I should be doing? About how long should this process take? Any help on the issue would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Hitting the reset button on any jailbroken iDevice will put it into an endless lockup like that. Your only hope is to put it into DFU mode and restore it in iTunes.

3. celticpride678

I would just DFU mode restore it. Should fix the issue

4. jimothy508 thread starter macrumors newbie

Putting it into DFU mode.

I googled DFU mode for iPod Touch and got this:

http://forum.pocketables.net/showthread.php?t=566

I followed instructions and got a pop up saying it's been detected in recovery mode. And that I must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes. I clicked ok, restore, restore and update. It then got stuck at the point where it was verifying the iPod restore with Apple and came back with a message saying that the iPod could not be restored. That the device isn't eligible for the requested build. :eek: I'm starting to get a little worried...

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

This is because you're trying to restore to a firmware version that Apple is allowing you to restore to anymore. The fix: mod your hosts file to point to Cydia (which might have your SHSH blobs) or install 4.0 on to it.

Is the buyer wanting it to be jailbroken?

6. jimothy508 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm unaware if the buyer wants it jailbroken or if he wants iOS4 on the unit. Would upgrading to iOS4 be easier? Cause I'm not quite sure I have the technical know how to pull off modding the host files.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Upgrading to iOS 4 would be the easiest thing to do. Just click the update button in iTunes and it'll check for an update then download iOS 4.0 and install it for you.

8. jimothy508 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try that right away and report with results. Thank you very much for your help kind sir/madam.

9. jimothy508 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apologies for the double post. Also I hope it doesn't look like I'm looking for someone to hold my hand through this process but I'm unsure of how to get iTunes to download and install iOS4 onto my device. iTunes still doesn't recognize the device when I connect it to my PC via USB and now putting the iPod into DFU mode is no longer working. From this guide:
    http://forum.pocketables.net/showthread.php?t=566
    I get to about step 4, however my CPU doesn't recognize the device as new hardware like it did before and no sounds go off to signify a connection either, so I don't know when to let go of the home button. Suggestions?

UPDATE: I got it into DFU mode, however I'm still only given the option to restore, the "check for update" button for the device is greyed out.

UPDATE UPDATE: Lol I got it to update and it's currently downloading the new iPod software. I think I'm updating too often?

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Try this link instead. It's a fairly trusted site for this kind of stuff. You can download the iOS 4.0 software after iTunes sees the device in Recovery Mode. It'll tell you it needs to check with Apple then it'll download it automatically.

11. jimothy508 thread starter macrumors newbie

Final update:

The iPod's up and running with iOS4. It's now sale ready and cleared of my personal/account info (as far as I know). Thanks again for the help mate! You saved my day.