in dire of help. don't know which mbp model to pick.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by semiconstructiv, Feb 26, 2008.

1. semiconstructiv macrumors newbie

So, I've been waiting since last fall for the new updates. and I'm ready to take the plunge but, I'm not sure which one I should get help me out and steer me towards the right one. (macbookpro)

Well, I'm a freelance graphic designer. I will be using this as a main computer plus i will be taking it everywhere with me to show my clients my work. plus I like video-editing with finalcutpro. then i will play abit of wow. and do the usual chat,browse the bet,script,design and lastly record music.

and my real question is which model should i get ?

basic? or the midrange keep in mind the student education is included.

edit: and i was wondering if i were to take the plunge now will these laptop last me 3-4 years? and will it do what i want right now till when i need a new one?

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

If I could afford either the basic or midrange, I would go for the midrange just because it has the 8600M GT with 512MB of VRAM instead of the 256MB VRAM in the basic model. That would help out a lot when you are in Final Cut Pro. It also has 6MB shared L2 cache instead of 3MB. But hey, that's me. I'm still on a 2.16GHz C2D MBP that still has a lot of life in it.

3. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

if you have to ask the question, i would say the base model is good for you. the base can handle what you need and the occasional FCP. save the cash

4. semiconstructiv thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm...you think 256mb is good enough? when i do edit film it's 4-5 hours at a time. and i'm not new with the program. but, 500 bucks for just 256mb diff and .1 ghz is mehh.