Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Red33m

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
I want to spend no more than 40$ for a pair of earphones(in ear) for my iPhone 3GS. It has to have a Mic and a call button. Which ones?!

Also if it is it has to be from a popular company so if they break I won't have to send them abroad for service.

Good sound/looks and good fit is what I am looking for!

Do I ask for too much while I give so little? You tell me!

scarboy6693

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
San Francisco, CA
I want to spend no more than 40$ for a pair of earphones(in ear) for my iPhone 3GS. It has to have a Mic and a call button. Which ones?!

Also if it is it has to be from a popular company so if they break I won't have to send them abroad for service.

Good sound/looks and good fit is what I am looking for!

Do I ask for too much while I give so little? You tell me!

There's these ones by Sony. I don't know the exact model number but they're at the apple store for $40 and have a mic and volume controls

Red33m

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
There's these ones by Sony. I don't know the exact model number but they're at the apple store for $40 and have a mic and volume controls

Would you recommend the Radius Atomic Bass 2?

I know that if they break I will have to pay International charges but they say that they are AWESOME!

What do you think?

Namysome

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2010
I would suggest the ZAGG smartbuds. Really impressed with the quality! Costs $49.99. You might find a coupon and buy it for less.

I believe you will get 1 year warranty!

Red33m

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
I would suggest the ZAGG smartbuds. Really impressed with the quality! Costs $49.99. You might find a coupon and buy it for less.

I believe you will get 1 year warranty!

Very nice earphones but too expensive..I just searched eBay and they're around 70$ not including shipping..

I have the Skullcandy FMJs but they came to me broken and it is very hard work to get them fixed so I decided to kick my self and buy new ones..Radius I think and fingers crossed this time! :)

Unless you have something else in your mind!

treeoflife

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
A friend of mine uses the Radius and it's working fine with him. Very simple and it does it's job.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
if you're an audiophile, go for head direct RE0, or as many would probably churn in their stomachs, the Monster Turbine in-ear buds. They retail for $99, they sound great!

and btw, $99 for ear-buds are CHEAP. If you're buying $30 pairs, you're wasting your money. The apple ear-buds sound the same as the $30 pair you purchase.

go to head-fi.org for more ear bud reviews.

OP, did you know if you bring in a broken apple ear-bud to Apple Store, they will replace it on the spot for free.

Swifttrain87

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
and btw, $99 for ear-buds are CHEAP. If you're buying $30 pairs, you're wasting your money. The apple ear-buds sound the same as the $30 pair you purchase.
This ^

if you're an audiophile, go for head direct RE0, or as many would probably churn in their stomachs, the Monster Turbine in-ear buds. They retail for $99, they sound great!

Not so much this... I work at an electronics store that specializes in high end headphones, I've used them all extensively. The turbines have pretty good sound but the housing is way too big, way too heavy, and all monster tips suck big time.

For around $99 I would reccomend Klipsch S4i's. The Klipsch line up is one of the most lightweight earbuds on the market, have the perfect range for highs and enough rich bass that isn't overbearing. It's safe to say the silicone oval shaped tips they sport are the best fit and style of any on the market. They have a mic and full remote. Best bang for your buck and best headphones for or under $100.

The Ultimate Ears 700's for $199 are also awesome, that's what I currently use but they don't have a mic or volume control.

Red33m

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010

go to head-fi.org for more ear bud reviews.

OP, did you know if you bring in a broken apple ear-bud to Apple Store, they will replace it on the spot for free.

Of course I am an audiophile! But a poor audiophile!! :)

Until now the best for sound seem to be the Radius from the reviews I read..but I also liked the Sony's and Scoche!

You audiophiles out there are the Radius the best in sound quality for the price OR can I buy a better pair for 40$?!

Thanks for all the answers by the way!

Red33m

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Love love love love my s4i's!

Sure they got to be great earphones but the trouble for me is that because I live in Greece I can't get them fixed here if they break. I will have to send them to the States which will cost me tons of bucks.

Can you tell me some Europe or Japan based companies that make iPhone earphones? Like Sony,Philips,Senheiser etc.

Red33m

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
ME Electronics: http://www.meelec.com/M9_Series_earphones_s/244.htm

I have the M6p's and they are awesome. But they are about $57 US. The M9p's are under $40 US.

EDIT: The M6p's where voted best in their price range on the on the Head Fi Forums.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread...eelectronics-m11-and-hippo-shroom-added-09-01

I just bought the Sony's from Amazon UK. I liked the M9's..but you have to understand my concerns on the fact that there isn't a dealer here in Greece and even worse you can't get them fixed here..So I'll have to pay tons of bucks to send them back if something is wrong.

So I bought the Sony ones. I hope that they'll have just as good(or at least close) sound quality BUT I can get those fixed without sending them abroad.

I have already fell into this mistake by buying Skullcandy's. I am not doing the same mistake again.

triptyx

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
I've been using a set of Skullcandy Titans for over 2 years now problem free.

Sounds like you got a bum pair.

Red33m

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
I've been using a set of Skullcandy Titans for over 2 years now problem free.

Sounds like you got a bum pair.

What is a bum pair?

The ones I ordered were broken out of the box. The bass didn't play from the right side. Also even with the one side not producing bass,they are bass heavy. I can't imagine what would have happened if both sides were problem free!!

technomuffin

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2010
Washington, DC
Just buy the Apple Headphones

To be honest, I beleive that Apple In Ear Headphones, deliver great quality. I believe they are under 40 bucks sold seperately, and they are from a trusted company... :apple:

Red33m

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
To be honest, I beleive that Apple In Ear Headphones, deliver great quality. I believe they are under 40 bucks sold seperately, and they are from a trusted company... :apple:

I like them too..BUT the problem is that Apple earphones have poor durability. I mean at least those I used to have..

And officially they are 70$

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.