In Ear Headphone recommendation

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by monkey3200, Oct 8, 2008.

1. monkey3200 macrumors member

I need a decent pair of In ear headphones that are not skullcandies, I currently have a pair and it sounds very "muddy" and I keep losing the tips:p

So I would like a pair for around $60 that sounds very clear unlike the skullcandies and that the tips won't fall off easily :eek:

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Sennheiser CX300 or Shure E2s

Maybe use the search function or scroll down to this.

:D

3. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I know this is above your price range, but consider the Westone UM1s... in my opinion, the absolute best 'bang for your buck'. They can be had for about $100 CAD.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Not true, the CX300s have to be the best bang for buck no questions asked (in terms of IEMs)

5. azharc macrumors member

Sony MDR EX-71 and that entire line of in-ears has given me excellent quality for the price.

Of course nowadays I rely on Etymotic Research.

6. danielhayter macrumors member

danielhayter

I too vote for Etymotic - I've got a pair of their ER6i headphones and the sound is phenomenal. Gotta admit I find them quite uncomfortable though!

7. David G. macrumors 6502a

I too like Etymotic. I found that after a few days you'll get used to the feel. But that might just be me though.:rolleyes:

8. phas3 macrumors 65816

for 30 dollars skullcandy headphones... i swear by it. Sounds really good for such a low price

9. Regis27 macrumors member

I have the ety's too. I wouldn't say that they're the most comfortable in the world, but I CAN fall asleep with them in -- and that's sleeping on my side. They sound great by the way; much better than the skull candies.

10. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Completely disagree.

I tried both before I bought my UM1s, and the CX300s can't compare when it comes to mids and highs. The only downside of the UM1s is the relatively weak bass, but it's only 'weak' because it's not unrealistic. The choice should also depend on the kind of music you listen to, and whether you're looking for mids/highs, or bass.

That is not to suggest that the CX300s aren't good (they were my second choice), but in my opinion, the UM1s are far superior. I also got a really good deal on my UM1s, which probably sweetened the deal ($90 CAD instead of MSRP $110 USD).

In the end, go with what sounds best to you.

11. Bluefusion macrumors 6502

Bluefusion

Ety er6 are the BEST I've tried in their range (and probably can be had for around $60/70), but as someone else said, try the Sony MDR-EX71. VERY cheap and the sound quality is startling. The bass especially. They aren't audiophile headphones like the er6 but they sound really, really fantastic.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The CX300s are $30 IEMs and the UM1s are questionably three times that. The comparison isn't fair - in the $30 price range you have standard Apple Buds and at best Sony IEMs and other lower quality. The UM1s are good, but the Shure E2s for $50 are probably the better of value. The sound quality of the CX300s are shocking for the price range, but you Westone is a different company. It's equivalent to trying to compare your UM1s vs. my E5s or SE530s....

13. blurredline macrumors 6502

blurredline

Save up for a little while longer and grab a pair of Shure SE110's. I've seen them on sale lately at places like Best Buy and Future Shop for $99! They're so worth the money, and I've tried lots of different pairs of in-ears. These are definitely the best valued headphones in my opinion.