In-Ear Headphones - Broken for 2nd time in 3 months

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by sportsfrk214, Apr 1, 2009.

1. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I got a pair of the Apple In-Ear Headphones for Christmas. They are fantastic when they work, which unfortunately is rarely.

After about two months of use, in which I treated them with lots of care, they broke. The volume in the left ear was half that of the right ear. I didn't have a receipt since they were a gift, but the good folks at the 5th Ave Apple Store were willing to give me a free replacement.

Well now, a month later, I'm having the same problem. The volume is again considerably lower in one ear. I'm very disappointed that this is happening again. I have no doubt that the problem lies in the manufacturing and what the product is made of. I have a 4 1/2 year old pair of Apple headphones that came with my 4th generation iPod. I have abused the headphones over all these years, but they still work perfectly. So since I'm treating these In-Ears with a lot of care, I know it's not me.

So what should I do? Just bring them back to the store with my receipt (they gave me a receipt when I got the 1st replacements) and exchange them again? Will they do it again? This is getting frustrating, I want a pair of $80 headphones to last me longer than 2 months at a time. Thanks for any advice

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You could try stating that to the people at the Apple store, and see if they would refund you the money, or allow you to exchange it for another product(s) worth $80.

3. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I have had miine since christmas also and have not had a single problem.

4. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

Pretty much the same here. Had mine since mid-January and am loving them.

But I have had a lot of other headphones left speaker stop working or work at half volume. In one year this happened to about 8-10 pairs of headphones mostly all different brands.

I think it was actually my iPod and not the headphones because 10 different pairs of headphones from different brands don't all have the same problem for no reason.

OP what are you plugging your headphones into? My problems occurred with my video iPod.

5. sportsfrk214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am plugging them into a 2nd Generation iPod Touch.

6. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

sorry to hear that. ironically, the most tough earphone is Apple for me. none of them never broke. even very first gen. earbud is still working. what's my problem is that expensive earphone like Ultimate Ears broke three times.

7. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

No matter how strict your ear cleaning regime may be due to how deeply they rest within the ear canal IN Ear Monitors quite frequently suffer from these sorts of problems due to the natural oils secreted within the ear. Jays q-Jay often have a similar volume loss in the left or right channel and can usually be fixed by removing and cleaning or replacing the filters within the earpieces at regular intervals.

May not be the case here but worth a try.

8. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

Hmmm... I am not too sure about it then. Like I said I went through a lot of headphones with a video iPod. I am not sure if the 2nd gen iPod touch and iPhone 3G use the same headphone jack and amp.

Have you ever used any other headphones w/ you iPod, and if so have you had the same problem w/ them?

Also if the headphones show no physical damage/abuse then I don't see why the Apple Store won't replace them. If no damage is visible than it most likely a manufacturing defect in either your headphones or iPod touch.

9. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

If you get a refund, you could get the Shure SE110s for $80 but you would lose the buttons. I have the SE210s and they broke in 7 months (still worked, casing falling apart) and sent them back for a new pair.

10. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Mine still work

I got mine on December 23, 2008. I got mine from the Apple Online Store. My only issue is the right silicone ear tip come off when I take the right ear bud out of my ear. So now I carry a paper clip and tweesers with me. By the way, the carrying case that comes with the Headphones is crap. It may be small and compact, but you have to wrap the phones tightly around the case, thus making the wire crack in weeks of use. This happedned to my friend's ear buds.